[FPSPACE] Data on Buran tiles

Brett Harrison routier at tig.com.au
Tue Oct 26 10:49:07 EDT 2004

l.coren at adriacom.it wrote:
> I'm looking for data on developement, composition and production of Buran TPS's
> tile.
> I don't need very accurate data (it's just for comparison with US Shuttle
> tiles) and unfortunately I can't read russian :)
>
> Any little help is appreciated.

I've seen them up close, on Buran 002 in 2000 in Sydney, which although not
designed for re-entry, had authentic tiles for test purposes.
There was more than one type of tile.  Some of them had a surprisingly woody
appearance & texture - quite different to the ceramic US Shuttle tiles.  You
could scratch them or dent them with a fingernail.  The information said
something about them containing carbon in "natural fibres".

That's my "little help"!

Ah, this website confirms some of that:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/molniya.htm

Follow the "Buran Orbiter" link, then the "thermal protection system" link.
Scroll to the bottom of the page - there are links to download 3 zipped articles
in English.

> Luca

---
Brett Harrison