[FPSPACE] Solar space power

LARRY KLAES ljk4 at msn.com
Tue Oct 26 10:01:28 EDT 2004

If we want to talk about finding new energy sources and keep it on the space subject,
how about solar space power in the form of huge solar panels beaming energy down
to Earth:

http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/technology/space_solar_000908.html<http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/technology/space_solar_000908.html>

Of course the concern of the day is, could this be misused as a terrorist weapon?
I remember reading how during World War 2 the Nazis had plans to put large mirrors
in space to focus sunlight down on enemy targets; imagine a giant version of frying
insects with a magnifying glass.

But the hope and preference here is that we can utilize a major source of energy that
should be around for the next few billion years - though I do find Gold's idea that Earth
is constantly making oil and gas without the need for biology quite fascinating, and the
man was on the mark far more often than not.

http://people.cornell.edu/pages/tg21/DHB.html<http://people.cornell.edu/pages/tg21/DHB.html>

Larry