[FPSPACE] another theory by the late Thomas Gold

Robert G Kennedy III robot at ultimax.com
Thu Oct 21 14:38:42 EDT 2004

[Following is a review of yet another one of Thomas Gold's groundbreaking
(literally) ideas, published about 5 years ago. FYI, the "Viridians" are a
sort of anti-carbon-economy green industrial design movement, of which I've
been a member for 6 years. It's more or less run by the noted s-f
cypherpunk author Bruse Sterling. That solar sail/shield concept we
developed back in 2000/2001 was commissioned by the Viridians.]

***

>Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:07:40 -0500
>To: Viridian List <viridian at fringeware.com>
>From: Bruce Sterling <bruces at well.com>
>Subject:  Viridian Note 00093: The Deep Hot Biosphere
>Key concepts:  non-biological petroleum, chemosynthetic
>bacteria, deep hot biosphere, Thomas Gold
>
>Attention Conservation Notice:  Geologists have somehow
>managed to ignore this heretic for thirty years, so why
>should we be listening to him now?  Provokes cognitive
>dissonance of the first order.  Paradigm-rupturing.
>
>Entries in the Viridian Summer Health Warning Contest:
[snip]

>Viridian Individual Projects:
[snip]

--