[FPSPACE] Thomas Gold memorial at Cornell

Keith Gottschalk kgottschalk at uwc.ac.za
Wed Oct 20 16:47:04 EDT 2004

>Legendary Cornell professor Thomas "Tommy" Gold was >honored by family, friends, and colleagues at the >university's Barnes Hall last Wednesday afternoon.

     I've just returned home from chairing our local Astronomy society meeting. Tonight's speaker was Case Rijsdijk, who was Mark Shuttleworth's high school teacher.  Case told us that when he, Case, was a student at the University of Cape Town, the highlight was when they got a lecture by visiting Fred Hoyle - partner with Gold & Bondi of thermonuclear fusion & the proton-proton cycle.

Keith