[FPSPACE] Microfiche of Soviet space studies, early 1970s

Jim Oberg joberg at houston.rr.com
Tue Oct 19 14:25:03 EDT 2004

Microfiche of Soviet space studies, early 1970sA lot of these materials from that era have been pulped and shredded, and probably survive in only a small number of accessible copies if at all. But before assigning this to some hapless $6/hr grad student, maybe try to develop a table of contents, or at least an overview of which publications are covered, from what dates.

A lot of files that I've kept from those years have, I now believe, been 'overtaken by events' including access to Russian prime sources. Some last-word histories (viz., Siddiqi) have also been produced, further diminishing the utility of translated materials, at least in our lifetimes.

Even within the US program, I've seen so much historical raw material lost through decay, non-thinking destruction, mis-filing, end-of-program bulldozing of archives, etc., that I cringe at the thought of any more accidental losses. But we can't keep EVERYTHING -- or can we?

Jim O