[FPSPACE] Microfiche of Soviet space studies, early 1970s

Susan Kaltenbach susan at atomicsupermen.com
Mon Oct 18 22:15:18 EDT 2004

While "organizing" my office, I unearthed a set of JPRS microfiche I bought
several years ago. I've been planning to scan them to digital images and/or
OCR.

My question for our space historians:  Are these documents relevant enough
to be digitally preserved, or can they continue to "rot" in my desk drawer
until I finally remember to buy a microfiche reader? It looks like a few
universities might have this fiche, the Goddard Library has hard copies,
etc.

I'm researching methods and costs. There are thousands of page images to be
scanned. This is probably a big undertaking and I am simply naive about the
resources involved. However, I bought them for my personal grins; if the
world doesn't need them, I'll still enjoy them. : )

I look forward to your suggestions.

Susan Kaltenbach
susan at atomicsupermen.com

_ _ _ _ _ _

They are:

Flight of Soyuz 10, September 1971
Lunokhod 1 A New Step in Space Exploration, October 1971
Interkosmos 4 Space Observations and Instruments, June 1972
Russian Report to COSPAR 15th Session Held in Madrid Spain in 1971, July
1972
Mars 2 and 3 Interplanetary Stations of the USSR, October 1972
Interkosmos Satellites Study Cosmic Rays, January 1973
Mars 2 and 3 Engineering and Research Results, May 1973
Conquest of Outer Space in the USSR. Official Announcements by TASS and
Material Published, 1973
Soviet Satellite Geodesy, Basis and Status of Soviet Laser Geodesy, May 1974

And... copies of Soviet (Bloc) Research in Geophysics Astronomy and Space,
October 1972 to March 1975

>From Indiana University Bloomington Libraries' Joint Publications Research
Service (JPRS) Web site (http://www.indiana.edu/~libgpd/guides/jprsgw.html):
	"JPRS reports are translations of books, reports, articles, and
entire issues of serials in the sciences and social sciences, mostly from
Communist or Third World countries. They were prepared by linguists under
contract to the Joint Publications Research Service, an agency of the U.S.
government set up in 1957 to provide translations for government research
units, until the late 60's when they were transferred to the Foreign
Broadcast Information Service."