[FPSPACE] The lack of god: Astro atheists/agnostics/pagans/whateverians

DwayneDay zirconic1 at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 17 21:46:40 EDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Allen Thomson <thomsona at flash.net>

>This is kind of a random question branching off the earlier threads, but
which astronauts have expressed  theological opinions other than those that
were politically required at the time they were officially flying?

There's the obvious Apollo 8 reading of Genesis.

>Many astronauts appeared to be fairly secular.  Soviets said the appropriate
things, ditto Americans, though some of the early Americans seem to have
gone off into New Age stuff.  There have been others who didn't look like
adherents of the Abrahamic Big Three religions.  But how many have really
talked about such matters in a manner that looks like a genuine expression
of belief?

Although I cannot answer that, it is helpful to keep in mind that many American astronauts are military, and the military officer corps tends to have a substantial percentage of believers.