[FPSPACE] Weapons in space

DwayneDay zirconic1 at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 15 10:14:35 EDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Zeger Nuyens <dokter.nuyens at pandora.be>

 From Novosti: Russia weary of new American radar system directed
"primarily against russian satellites"

> According to him, the United States is currently deploying new ground
> radars, which are primarily directed against Russian satellites.
> "Russia's Glonass navigation system and the United States' GPS have
> the same frequency and the satellites flying on similar orbital
> paths," he said. "Still we know that GPS can switch to different
> frequencies, and our satellites would be defenseless."

This article wanders all over the place before getting to this paragraph, which is what the title of the article is based upon.

But if you read this paragraph, it makes no sense.  The first sentence is about radars, and the second and third about GPS and GLONASS.  I've read it several times and still cannot figure out what the heck they are referring to.

I'm also not aware of the US deploying new radars directed at satellites.  The US is certainly building at least one X-band radar for missile tracking purposes, and it might have some use for detecting satellites, but it is not designed for that purpose.