[FPSPACE] State Employee Fired For Using State Property To Search For Aliens

LARRY KLAES ljk4 at msn.com
Tue Oct 12 09:25:50 EDT 2004

State Employee Fired For Using State Property To Search For Aliens

Reported by:   AP
10/8/04 11:37:33 AM

The search for extraterrestrial life has ended at the Ohio Department of
Job and Family Services.

The department on Thursday fired a computer programmer who admitted to
using a state-owned computer server to process data for the Search for
Extraterrestrial Intelligence project, run by the University of
California at Berkeley.

Charles E. Smith, 63, told administrators he didn't think loading the
SETI software on the server was much of a problem because he ran the
program only on weekends and on weekdays between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m., when
the server wasn't being used, according to a disciplinary report.

Department director Tom Hayes disagreed.

"I understand his desire to search for intelligent life in outer space,
because obviously he doesn't find it in the mirror in the morning,"
Hayes said. "I think that people can be comfortable that security has
beamed this man out of our building." [Oh yeah, this guy is just a beacon of
intelligence himself. - LK]

Smith, who earned $60,000 a year, didn't return a phone call seeking
comment from The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer. There was no immediate
response to messages left Friday by The Associated Press at the two
phone listings in Columbus under the name Charles E. Smith.