[FPSPACE] Tuesday, October 12th. the Discovery Channel will be running two programs on Rutan's SpaceShip 1

DwayneDay zirconic1 at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 11 13:28:42 EDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Oberg <joberg at houston.rr.com>
Sent: Oct 12, 2004 12:04 AM

Tuesday, October 12th. the Discovery Channel will be running two programs on Rutan's SpaceShip 1
starting at 8 PM EST - the first of these  is "Black Sky: The Race for Space
<http://science.discovery.com/schedule/series.jsp?series=24963&gid=0&channel=SCI>"
which concerns the development of White Knight and SpaceShip 1, and its
first flight into space; the second "Black Sky: Winning the X Prize
<http://science.discovery.com/schedule/series.jsp?series=24964&gid=0&channel=SCI>"
is about the two successful flights that won the Ansari Prize.
The first show is two hours in length; the second one hour in length;
and they shall be repeated back-to-back at 11 PM, 4 AM, 7 AM, 12 PM
(noon), and 3 PM  the following day EST.

*********

Don't read the list, huh?  As I noted, these actually ran already on last Thursday, and again last (Sunday) night.  They're quite good.  However, I think that each one is only one hour long.

I'm a little confused about the unavailability of the DVD.  For some odd reason, Discovery Channel will sell videos of many of their shows, but not DVDs (considering that DVDs are cheaper to make, you would expect it to be the standard).  But a colleague says that they only burn DVDs when they have a sufficient number of orders.  So why advertise it as "unavailable"?  That would just drive people away, rather than getting them to request it so you can judge the demand.

Anyway, this is a good show and I recommend that everybody catch it.  The visuals are spectacular.

Meanwhile, over on The Space Review, there's a whole buch of thoughtful articles on SS1 and space tourism and all that.  Not as diverse as usual, but always something worth reading:

www.thespacereview.com