[FPSPACE] Soviet stamp of Luna 3 with lunar farside image

Paolo Ulivi paolo.ulivi at tiscali.it
Sun Oct 10 13:26:54 EDT 2004

DwayneDay wrote:

> [...]

I think that the main problem was that the Soviets were not able to
produce "radiation hardened" film at the time, while Genetrix ballons
probably used such film to avoid it being fogged by cosmic rays in the
upper atmosphere.
As far as I know the only source for this story is an article which
appeared in Novosti Kosmonavtiki and which is also available online
http://www.novosti-kosmonavtiki.ru/content/numbers/213/52.shtml
Below is a (crude) translation by Babelfish
Paolo

"The history of that used in the camera the "Yenisey" of the film of the
type ASH with a width of 35 mm is sufficiently amusing. According to the
evidence of the deputy chief designer of theme the "Yenisey" Of
p.F.Bratslavtsa and of leading engineer along the onboard camera
Yu.P.Lagutina, our industry by that time yet did not master the
production of the film, which satisfied all requirements of order the
"Yenisey". But rescued "Mr. the case". In the second-half of the 50th it
is annual THE USA they became to use for reconnaissance purposes the
balloons. The possibility of their application for the reconnaissance
was based on the special features of the airstreams above our country -
constant displacements of air masses from the West to the east. The
spheres, supplied with special photographic equipment, were started from
the military bases OF THE USA in the countries of West Europe and,
carried by airstreams, appeared above THE USSR, photographing the
territory of our country along the path of motion. Such is ball it was
started much. They created threat to the flights of aircraft. Biased
these ill-fated "balloons" there was also several. Certain quantity of
film from these balloon- spies proved to be in the academy of the name
Of a.F.Mozhayskogo, with which collaborated VNII television. After a
study of the mentioned film it turned out that it from its parameters
was suitable for the use in onboard equipment "Yenisey". Then was
accepted, secretly from the high authorities, the solution to cut it
into the required dimension, to perforate and to use for photographing
of the hidden side of the moon. Hence becomes clear a somewhat
mischievous designation of the type of film ASH - "American balloons"."