[FPSPACE] The defining image of the Mars Rovers mission

DwayneDay zirconic1 at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 10 12:54:39 EDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: LARRY KLAES <ljk4 at msn.com>
Sent: Oct 10, 2004 11:28 AM

This image from the Mars Exploration Rover (MER) Spirit was shown at Cornell on September 30, 2004, about one week before its official unveiling.  During his lecture titled "Roving on Mars", Jim Bell called it the "defining image of the mission."

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA06917<http://photojournal.jplnasa.gov/catalog/PIA06917>

*******

That's a nice image, but haven't there been some more spectacular ones?

What I would love to see is a low-angle from the front shot of the rover sailing over the edge of a sand dune, with a Martian riding atop it.  We gotta find an illustrator out there who can do this...