[FPSPACE] Master of Space badge

DwayneDay zirconic1 at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 8 16:27:20 EDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Allen Thomson <thomsona at flash.net>
Sent: Oct 8, 2004 3:24 PM
To: fpspace at friends-partners.org
Subject: [FPSPACE] Master of Space badge

Too cool: http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123008878

*********

>From the site:

"The 2001 U.S. Space Commission Report, assessing U.S. National Security Space Management and Organization, flagged the Department of Defense’s need to further train and develop its space professionals. The report set the stage for an increased emphasis on training the nation’s next generation of space professionals. Command officials also identified the need to capture the individual talents of the DOD space community."

(necessary disclaimer:  I ain't no expert on this and don't follow it much at all--so don't believe anything I write)

>From talking to a few people who are involved, ever since Space Command got incorporated into Strategic Command, it has become tougher and tougher for the space people to get any kind of clout at all.  I don't know the specifics, but it seems like even though the 2001 commission called for improving their lot, they really haven't progressed much in the past few years.

So I wonder about symbolic actions like this, getting them their own pin.  Is this part of an effort to throw them a bone while denying them the kind of real power that they want?