[FPSPACE] SpaceShipOne's 3rd flight

DwayneDay zirconic1 at earthlink.net

From: Keith Gottschalk <kgottschalk at uwc.ac.za>

>Hopefully that flawless record will repeat itself in the 4th & subsequent flights. We are of course still waiting for a flight with three live humans on board

We'll see if they're going to do any more flights with this vehicle.  Rutan has implied in the past that he is going to retire SS1 as soon as possible.  DARPA has previously expressed some interest in using SS1 for experimental work, but I don't know if that is still an option.

One of the news programs said last night that Branson anticipates that his space tourist vehicle will cost $100K per flight.  But I'm not sure if Branson really said that, or if the reporter was misinterpreting a lot of things.  It strikes me as if that price is too high for viable revenue service.