[FPSPACE] Gordo Cooper RIP

robert at collectspace.com robert at collectspace.com
Mon Oct 4 22:30:15 EDT 2004

Cooper said on several occasions that he wasn't happy with some of the
passages that appeared in "Leap of Faith". In 2000, he told me,  "I
tried to convey the point that I certainly have an amount of skepticism
myself. I am not 100% convinced that all of these reports are true.
Certainly, I know that a lot of these sightings have either been made
up or are figments of imagination, or weather balloons, or whatever.
But there just have been too many of them that have been by very valid,
solid citizens to just be totally skeptical of them. And I guess that's
what I was trying to convey -- there has certainly got to be a little
skepticism about all the stories you hear about because all of them are
not true, I don't think, but I think some are certainly valid."

My impression was that his co-author/editor/publisher (or combination
of the three) saw an opportunity to take Cooper's story and run with
what they thought would sell books. In-person on many occasions, both
private and public, he never displayed - at least to me - many of the
qualities painted in "Leap".

--
Robert Pearlman, Editor
collectSPACE - The Source for Space History & Artifacts