SV: [FPSPACE] Re: SS1 to go for X-Prize Monday morning

Constantine Domashnev cdomashnev at acm.org
Mon Oct 4 15:13:25 EDT 2004

I would not worry about "Swedish" prefix. It only contributes to the confusion.

After all, Swedes celebrate Mid-Summer on June 22 or so, when, technically, it is just a beginning of Summer.

Moreover, that famous Groundhog Day' celebration in Punxsutawney, PA, is celebrated on February 2, which *is* technically Mid-Winter. And the whole GD thing was supposedly started in PA, USA,  by Swedish immigrants. Hence, the Swedes always knew that February 2 is the Mid-Winter and kept celebrating June 22 as the Swedish Mid-Summer.

However, I bet, the confusion has started with the adoption of that notorious Metric system in Daylight Saving Time management.

I hope that that clarifies.
--
CD