[FPSPACE] IAC 2004 opens in Vancouver

Sven Grahn svengrahn at telia.com
Mon Oct 4 13:27:24 EDT 2004

I am sitting at the opening ceremony in the Orpheum theatre in downtown Vanouver. Space luminaries of all kind surge into the theatre. It's a marvellous morning here in BC, very fitting weather for the occasion.

As I approached the theater there were pople in the street in various space costumes (complete with ray guns) greeting me with words like "welcome fellow space traveller".

 It will be interesting to hear if SS1 is mentioned in the speeches. I watched the major netorks (US) plus Canadian TV while it flew. I could only detect postflight coverage, not live. But I could easily have missed something on the zillons of channels on the hotel TV.

Canadian minister present and a first nation representative ( previously known as "indian") gave first speech, welcomed us to Vancouver and read a prayer in his native tongue.

Julie Paytte, chief astronaut of CSA, spoke first. Mentioned SS1 after 20 sec, spontaneous applause!

Mc Evans read a message from Paul Martin, Canada's PM, in English and badly pronounced French flanked by two RCMP officers - neatly attired in red uniorms.

Etc...

Sven

Mr Sven Grahn
Rättviksvägen 44