[FPSPACE] July 1969 N-1 explosion

Dwayne Allen Day wayneday@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 18:05:35 -0400 (EDT)

Neat story:

While reviewing a transcript of an interview with a former CIA official, I
came across a piece of information that I had not noticed before.  He said
that the July 1969 on-pad explosion of the N-1 launch vehicle was actually
detected by seismic sensors in the US.  I'm not sure what sensors he was
referring to--ones in Europe or in Alaska or the US itself--but he said
that the CIA clearly knew something had happened in the Soviet Union at
that time.  Later, they got the photography that let them figure out what
it was.

DDAY