[FPSPACE] The Red Stuff

M.Wade@iaea.org M.Wade@iaea.org
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 10:08:24 +0200

This is all a bit confused, probably because of some mistranslations in the
documentary.

For an authoritative account of the problems with Kosmos-140, the various
versions of the parachute problems of Soyuz 1, and the parachute testing
before Soyuz 1, see Bart Hendrickx Kamanin diaries article mentioned on this
list a week or two ago. I'm sure Asif Siddiqi has covered it in his book as
well. The causes of the Soyuz 1 parachute failure were subtle and multiple.
But they had (for the reasons given in Bart's article) justifiable
confidence in the system prior to Soyuz 1. It certainly was not considered
untested.

There was a problem with the weight of the capsule the parachute was
qualified to handle that surfaced later in the requalification program which
lead to discussion of limiting crews for Soyuz 2/3 or 4/5 to only two per
capsule. But this capsule weight growth I don't think was attributable to
increasing the heat shield thickness (not size) after Kosmos-140....

Mark Wade