[FPSPACE] The Red Stuff

Tristan Cools tcools@village.uunet.be
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 22:35:38 +0100

At 21:52 23-10-00 +0100, you wrote:

>Nicolaiev explains that the Soyuz 1 parachute was too big for the size of
>its canister.

Yes, that surprised me too.  That was the first time I heard about it.  The
parachute had to knocked into the canister with a wooden hammer to put it
in place.

A previous unmanned Soyuz test sank into the ocean when a hole was burned
into the heat shield.  So they had to build a bigger heat shield and as a
result of that the parachute had to be bigger also.  They never had a
chance to test the new parachute prior to launch of Soyuz 1.

Greetings,

Tristan Cools tcools@village.uunet.be
Belgian Working Group Satellites(BWGS)

Damse Vaart: 3.2478E/51.2277N - OBS place 1
Ryckevelde:  3.2856E/51.2045N - OBS place 2
Brugge:      3.2166E/51.2104N - OBS place 3(home)

HTTP://gallery.uunet.be/tcools/satimage/index.htm