This page no longer updated from 31 October 2001. Latest version can be found at www.astronautix.com
|Atlas SLV - Atlas SLV-3 s/n 7004 / Burner-2 (No Agena) - 1968-08-16|
20,836 bytes. 151 x 465 pixels.
Family: Atlas. Country: USA. Status: Hardware. Department of Defence Designation: SLV-3.
Standardized Atlas booster with no or small solid upper stage.
LEO Payload: 800 kg. to: 300 km Orbit. at: 28.0 degrees.
- Stage Number: 0. 1 x Atlas MA-3 Gross Mass: 3,174 kg. Empty Mass: 3,174 kg. Thrust (vac): 167,740 kgf. Isp: 290 sec. Burn time: 120 sec. Isp(sl): 256 sec. Diameter: 4.9 m. Span: 4.9 m. Length: 0.0 m. Propellants: Lox/Kerosene No Engines: 2. LR-89-5
- Stage Number: 1. 1 x Atlas Agena SLV-3 Gross Mass: 117,026 kg. Empty Mass: 2,326 kg. Thrust (vac): 39,400 kgf. Isp: 316 sec. Burn time: 265 sec. Isp(sl): 220 sec. Diameter: 3.1 m. Span: 4.9 m. Length: 20.7 m. Propellants: Lox/Kerosene No Engines: 1. LR-105-5
SLV-3 Atlas Chronology
1966 Jun 1 - - 15:00 GMT. LV Configuration: Atlas SLV-3 - No Agena. Launch Site: Cape Canaveral . Launch Complex: LC14.
- Gemini 9 ATDA Spacecraft: Atlas Target Docking Adapter. Payload: TDA 4. Mass: 794 kg.
The ATDA achieved a near-circular orbit (apogee 161.5, perigee 158.5 nautical miles). One hour and 40 minutes later, the scheduled launch of Gemini IX-A was postponed by a ground equipment failure which prevented the transfer of updating information from Cape Kennedy mission control center to the spacecraft computer. The mission was recycled for launch on June 3, following a prepared 48-hour recycle plan. Anomalous telemetry indicated some sort of problem with the target, but it was not until Gemini IX rendezvoused with it in orbit that it was seen that fairing separation had failed.
1966 Dec 21 - LV Configuration: Atlas SLV-3 - No Agena. Launch Site: Vandenberg .
- Prime 1 Spacecraft: Prime. Payload: Prime 1.
1967 Mar 5 - LV Configuration: Atlas SLV-3 - No Agena. Launch Site: Vandenberg .
- Prime 2 Spacecraft: Prime. Payload: Prime 2.
1967 Apr 19 - LV Configuration: Atlas SLV-3 - No Agena. Launch Site: Vandenberg .
- Prime 3 Spacecraft: Prime. Payload: Prime 3.
1968 Aug 16 - - 20:57 GMT. LV Configuration: Atlas SLV-3 s/n 7004 / Burner-2 (No Agena). Launch Site: Vandenberg . Launch Complex: SLC3E. FAILURE: Failure.
- 45 - Koelle, Heinz Hermann,, Handbook of Astronautical Engineering, McGraw-Hill,New York, 1961.
Back to Index
Last update 12 March 2001.
Definitions of Technical Terms.
Contact Mark Wade with any corrections or comments.
Conditions for use of drawings, pictures, or other materials from this site..
© Mark Wade, 2001 .