This page no longer updated from 31 October 2001. Latest version can be found at www.astronautix.com
|Saturn 2SL Minuteman - Saturn 2SL Minuteman strapons|
Credit: © Mark Wade. 3,369 bytes. 115 x 478 pixels.
Family: Saturn II. Country: USA. Status: Study 1966.
North American study, 1966. Saturn variant with 4 to 12 Minuteman motors as boosters, Saturn II stage as core, and Saturn IVB upper stage. Saturn II stage would be fitted with lower expansion ratio engines and would ignite at sea level. Various combinations of numbers of strap-ons, propellant loading of the two core stages were studied.
|Liftoff Mass - kg||MM Motors at
Liftoff||MM Motors 2nd Round||MM
Motors 3rd Round||S-II Propellant - kg||S-IVB Propellant - kg||Payload -
LEO Payload: 34,320 kg. to: 185 km Orbit. at: 28.0 degrees. Liftoff Thrust: 924,007 kgf. Total Mass: 770,000 kg. Core Diameter: 10.1 m. Total Length: 51.0 m.
- Stage Number: 0. 12 x Minuteman-1 Gross Mass: 23,077 kg. Empty Mass: 2,292 kg. Thrust (vac): 80,700 kgf. Isp: 262 sec. Burn time: 60 sec. Isp(sl): 237 sec. Diameter: 1.7 m. Span: 1.7 m. Length: 7.5 m. Propellants: Solid No Engines: 1. M55/TX-55/Tu-122
- Stage Number: 1. 1 x Saturn II-SL Gross Mass: 490,952 kg. Empty Mass: 44,240 kg. Thrust (vac): 560,922 kgf. Isp: 390 sec. Burn time: 310 sec. Isp(sl): 275 sec. Diameter: 10.1 m. Span: 10.1 m. Length: 24.8 m. Propellants: Lox/LH2 No Engines: 5. J-2-SL
- Stage Number: 2. 1 x Saturn IVB (S-IB) Gross Mass: 118,800 kg. Empty Mass: 12,900 kg. Thrust (vac): 105,200 kgf. Isp: 421 sec. Burn time: 475 sec. Isp(sl): 200 sec. Diameter: 6.6 m. Span: 6.6 m. Length: 17.8 m. Propellants: Lox/LH2 No Engines: 1. J-2
- 228 - Lowther, Scott, Saturn: Development, Details, Derivatives and Descendants, Work in progress. Availabe chapters may be ordered directly from Scott Lowther at web site indicated. HTML when accessed: http://www.webcreations.com/ptm
- 233 - Alexander, George, Aviation Week and Space Technology, "Manned Flight Planning Gap Delays Saturn Development", 1966-08-08, page 60.
Back to Index
Last update 12 March 2001.
Definitions of Technical Terms.
Contact Mark Wade with any corrections or comments.
Conditions for use of drawings, pictures, or other materials from this site..
© Mark Wade, 2001 .