This page no longer updated from 31 October 2001. Latest version can be found at www.astronautix.com
|R-9 launch - |
Credit: © Mark Wade. 21,002 bytes. 284 x 374 pixels.
Family: N. Country: Russia. Status: Hardware. Department of Defence Designation: SS-8. ASCC Reporting Name: Sasin. Article Number: 8K75. Manufacturer's Designation: R-9.
ICBM developed by Korolev OKB using liquid oxygen/kerosene propellants. Military favored storable propellants as advocated by Glushko and implemented by Yangel and Chelomei. Payload 3,500 kg. Range 13,000 km. Accuracy (90%) 8 km in range and 5 km in dispersion with radio guidance; 20 km / 10 km with inertial guidance. Empty mass estimated.
Liftoff Thrust: 140,570 kgf. Total Mass: 77,500 kg. Core Diameter: 2.7 m. Total Length: 26.0 m.
- Stage Number: 1. 1 x R-9A Stage 1 Gross Mass: 61,600 kg. Empty Mass: 4,000 kg. Thrust (vac): 162,730 kgf. Isp: 311 sec. Burn time: 108 sec. Isp(sl): 269 sec. Diameter: 2.7 m. Span: 3.3 m. Length: 14.6 m. Propellants: Lox/Kerosene No Engines: 1. RD-111
- Stage Number: 2. 1 x R-9A Stage 2 Gross Mass: 15,900 kg. Empty Mass: 2,500 kg. Thrust (vac): 31,000 kgf. Isp: 330 sec. Burn time: 140 sec. Diameter: 2.7 m. Span: 2.7 m. Length: 7.0 m. Propellants: Lox/Kerosene No Engines: 1. RD-0106
1959 May 13 -
1960 Jun 14 -
- Development of Silo-Launched IRBM's and ICBM's approved.
State Committee for Defence Technology (GKOT) Decree 'On creation of shaft units (silos) for the R-12, R-14, R-16, and R-9 missiles' was issued.
1961 Apr 9 - Launch Site: Baikonur .
- R-9 test flight failure.
|R-9 missile - R-9 missile being erected on pad|
Credit: © Mark Wade. 14,384 bytes. 329 x 257 pixels.
The R-9 exploded on the launch pad adjacent to that from which Yuri Gagarin would be launched three days later, in view of the cosmonauts.
1962 Oct 27 - Launch Site: Baikonur . FAILURE: Failure.
1965 Jul 21 -
- R-9A ICBM accepted into military service.
Credit: © Mark Wade. 1,260 bytes. 409 x 64 pixels.
Decree 'On adoption of the R-9A in shaft and surface variants into armaments' was issued.
- 89 - Semenov, Yu. P., S P Korolev Space Corporation Energia, RKK Energia, 1994.
|R-9 raised - R-9 raised to launch position|
Credit: RKK Energia. 14,306 bytes. 291 x 240 pixels.
4,063 bytes. 50 x 338 pixels.
Back to Index
Last update 12 March 2001.
Definitions of Technical Terms.
Contact Mark Wade with any corrections or comments.
Conditions for use of drawings, pictures, or other materials from this site..
© Mark Wade, 2001 .