This page no longer updated from 31 October 2001. Latest version can be found at www.astronautix.com
|Kosmos LV - |
Credit: © Mark Wade. 1,029 bytes. 43 x 353 pixels.
Family: Tsyklon. Country: Ukraine. Status: Hardware. Other Designations: Kosmos 2M. Library of Congress Designation: B-1. Department of Defence Designation: SL-7. ASCC Reporting Name: Sandal. Manufacturer's Designation: 63S1M.
Modernized version of 63S1 initial configuration of the first Kosmos launcher and the prototype for the production 11K63 launch vehicle. Suborbital launches from Plesetsk from 1965 at from the modified R-12 silo 'Dvina'. Flown only a few times in 1965-1967. Succeeded by the 11K63 production model launched from the 'Raduga' complex.
Launches: 5. Failures: 0. Success Rate: 100.00% pct. First Launch Date: 19 October 1965. Last Launch Date: 26 April 1966. LEO Payload: 450 kg. to: 270 km Orbit. at: 71.0 degrees. Liftoff Thrust: 64,905 kgf. Total Mass: 48,110 kg. Core Diameter: 1.6 m. Total Length: 25.8 m.
- Stage Number: 1. 1 x Kosmos A-1 Gross Mass: 39,515 kg. Empty Mass: 3,150 kg. Thrust (vac): 74,500 kgf. Isp: 264 sec. Burn time: 125 sec. Isp(sl): 230 sec. Diameter: 1.6 m. Span: 1.8 m. Length: 18.0 m. Propellants: Nitric acid/Kerosene No Engines: 1. RD-214
- Stage Number: 2. 1 x Kosmos A-2 Gross Mass: 8,595 kg. Empty Mass: 840 kg. Thrust (vac): 10,760 kgf. Isp: 352 sec. Burn time: 250 sec. Isp(sl): 220 sec. Diameter: 1.6 m. Span: 1.6 m. Length: 7.8 m. Propellants: Lox/UDMH No Engines: 1. RD-119
Kosmos 63S1M Chronology
1965 Oct 19 - - 05:44 GMT. Launch Site: Kapustin Yar . Launch Complex: LC86/1.
1965 Nov 4 - - 05:31 GMT. Launch Site: Kapustin Yar . Launch Complex: LC86/1.
1965 Nov 26 - - 12:14 GMT. Launch Site: Kapustin Yar . Launch Complex: LC86/1.
1966 Jan 25 - - 12:28 GMT. Launch Site: Kapustin Yar . Launch Complex: LC86/1.
1966 Apr 26 - - 10:04 GMT. Launch Site: Kapustin Yar . Launch Complex: LC86/1.
- 42 - Isakowitz, Steven J,, International Reference to Space Launch Systems Second Edition, AIAA, Washington DC, 1991.
- 79 - Zak, Anatoly, Spaceflight, "Cosmos Launcher", 1996, Volume 38, page 416.
- 99 - Agapov, V, Novosti Kosmonavtiki, "K zapusku pervovo ISZ serii 'DS'", 1997, Issue 6.
|R-56, R-26, 63S1 - From left to right, dynamic test models of: R-56 monster launch vehicle; R-26 ICBM; Kosmos 63S1 launch vehicle|
Credit: © Mark Wade. 35,088 bytes. 261 x 436 pixels.
Back to Index
Last update 12 March 2001.
Definitions of Technical Terms.
Contact Mark Wade with any corrections or comments.
Conditions for use of drawings, pictures, or other materials from this site..
© Mark Wade, 2001 .