This page no longer updated from 31 October 2001. Latest version can be found at www.astronautix.com
|Moblab - |
Credit: © Mark Wade. 1,707 bytes. 165 x 158 pixels.
Other Designations: Mobile Lunar Laboratory. Manufacturer's Designation: Mobile Lunar Laboratory. Class: Manned. Type: Lunar rover. Nation: USA.
Typical of several NASA studies for manned lunar roving vehicles for extended lunar exploration. This model would take two men up to a total range of 396 km at a maximum velocity of 16 km/hr on compacted soils, 9.8 km/hr on maria. Turn radius 7 m; locomotion energy .39 k2-hr/km in uplands. 3,732 kg total mass breakdown: 1,036 kg cabin systems; 825 kg mobility; 282 kg power; 210 kg electronics; 340 kg scientific equipment; 466 kg for Lunar Flying Vehicle (rocket platform for emergency return to LM Taxi); 126 kg for tie downs; and 437 kg for expendables (fuel cell propellants and crew oxygen).
Craft.Crew Size: 2. Design Life: 30 days. Total Length: 6.2 m. Maximum Diameter: 3.2 m. Total Habitable Volume: 5.66 m3. Total Mass: 3,732 kg. Electric System: 160.00 total kWh. Electrical System: Fuel Cells.
- 26 - Baker, David, The History of Manned Spaceflight, Crown, New York, 1981.
- 200 - Henderson, C William, Advanced in the Astronautical Sciences, Vol 18, "Extended Lunar Exploration", 1964, p 615.
- 201 - National Space Goals for Post-Apollo Period, House of Representatives Hearings, 1965.
- 202 - Arthur, George R, Advanced in the Astronautical Sciences, Volume 10, "Lunar Spacecraft Designs", 1963, p. 52.
- 203 - Salter, Thomas R, Advanced in the Astronautical Sciences, Vol 18, "Advanced Lunar Transportation Systems", 1964 / NASA Contract NAS8-5027.
- 204 - Evans, Thomas C, Advanced in the Astronautical Sciences, Vol 18, "Extended Lunar Exploration", 1964, p 480.
|Moblab lunar mobile - Moblab lunar mobile lab|
Credit: © Mark Wade. 8,030 bytes. 541 x 517 pixels.
Credit: NASA. 26,181 bytes. 469 x 310 pixels.
Back to Index
Last update 12 March 2001.
Contact Mark Wade with any corrections or comments.
Conditions for use of drawings, pictures, or other materials from this site..
© Mark Wade, 2001 .