This page no longer updated from 31 October 2001. Latest version can be found at www.astronautix.com
Gemini Docked to Centaur for Circumlunar Flight
Credit: © Mark Wade. 2,766 bytes. 567 x 143 pixels.
Manufacturer's Designation: McDonnell-Douglas. Class: Manned. Type: Lunar orbiter. Nation: USA. Manufacturer: McDonnell-Douglas.
In the first Gemini project plans, it was planned that after a series of test dockings between Gemini and Agena rocket stages, Geminis would dock with Centaur stages for circumlunar flights. This was a threat to Project Apollo and was suppressed.
|Gemini-Centaur-LM - Gemini-Centaur-LM 640 pixel|
Credit: © Mark Wade. 9,925 bytes. 621 x 415 pixels.
Craft.Crew Size: 2. Maximum Diameter: 3.0 m. Total Habitable Volume: 2.55 m3.
- 26 - Baker, David, The History of Manned Spaceflight, Crown, New York, 1981.
- 40 - Hacker, Barton C and Crimwood, James,, On the Shoulders of Titans, Government Printing Office, 1977. HTML when accessed: http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/SP-4203/cover.htm
- 205 - Hall, Edwin H, "Memorandum to Deputy Director, Gemini Program, "Circumlunar Missions"", June 29, 1965.
- 207 - Big G, Briefing, McDonnell Douglas, 20 December 1967.
- 208 - Advanced Gemini Spacecraft, Briefing, McDonnell Douglas, ca. 1967.
- 210 - Marks, C D and Quest, R G, AAS Science and Technology Series, Vol. 21, "Low Cost Orbital Transportation: How Big A Step!", 1969.
|Gemini lunar - Gemini-Centaur docked configuration. Launched seperately, the Gemini would have docked with the Centaur stage in low earth orbit. The Centaur would then fire, placing the Gemini on a circumlunar trajectory.|
Credit: © Mark Wade. 13,775 bytes. 774 x 517 pixels.
Back to Index
Last update 12 March 2001.
Contact Mark Wade with any corrections or comments.
Conditions for use of drawings, pictures, or other materials from this site..
© Mark Wade, 2001 .