This page no longer updated from 31 October 2001. Latest version can be found at www.astronautix.com
Heidemarie Martha Stefanyshyn-Piper
Status: Active. Trained as: Astronaut. Profession: Mission Specialist. Sex: Female. Marital Status: Married. Children: One. Birth Date: 07 February 1963. Birth City: St. Paul. Birth State: Minnesota. Birth Country: USA. Nationality: American. Group: 1996 NASA Group. Date Selected: 01 May 1996.
NASA Official Biography
- NAME: Heidemarie M. Stefanyshyn-Piper (Lieutenant Commander, USN)
- NASA Astronaut Candidate (Mission Specialist)
- PERSONAL DATA:
- Born February 7, 1963 in St. Paul, Minnesota. Married to Glenn A. Piper. They have one child. She enjoys scuba diving, swimming, running, roller blading, ice skating. As an undergraduate, she competed in intercollegiate athletics on MIT's crew team. Her mother, Adelheid Stefanyshyn, resides in St. Paul, Minnesota. Her father, Michael Stefanyshyn, is deceased. His parents, Glenn & Gerry Piper, reside in Bonners Ferry, Idaho.
- Graduated from Derham Hall High School, St. Paul, Minnesota, in 1980; received a bachelor of science degree in mechanical engineering from Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1984, and a master of science degree in mechanical engineering from Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1985.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- SPECIAL HONORS:
- Received "VADM C.R. Bryan Award" Class 2-88B, Engineering Duty Officer Basic Course. Awarded 2 Navy Commendation Medals, 2 Navy Achievement Medals, Navy Unit Commendation and National Defense Medal. "Most Valuable Player Award" MIT Women's Crew in 1982.
- Stefanyshyn-Piper received her commission from the Navy ROTC Program at MIT in June 1985. She completed training at the Naval Diving and Salvage Training Center in Panama City, Florida as a Navy Basic Diving Officer and Salvage Officer. She completed several tours of duty as an Engineering Duty Officer in the area of ship maintenance and repair. She qualified as a Surface Warfare Officer onboard USS GRAPPLE (ARS 53). In September 1994, Stefanyshyn-Piper reported to the Naval Sea Systems Command as Underwater Ship Husbandry Operations Officer for the Supervisor of Salvage and Diving. In that capacity, she advised fleet diving activities in the repair of naval vessels while waterborne. Additionally she is a qualified and experienced salvage officer. Major salvage projects include: development of salvage plan for the Peruvian Navy salvage of the Peruvian submarine PACOCHA; and de-stranding of the tanker EXXON HOUSTON, off the coast of Barber's Point, on the island of Oahu, Hawaii.
- NASA EXPERIENCE:
- Selected as an astronaut candidate by NASA in April 1996. Stefanyshyn-Piper reported to the Johnson Space Center in August 1996 to begin two years of training and evaluation. Successful completion of initial training will qualify her for various technical assignments leading to selection as a mission specialist on a Space Shuttle flight crew.
Back to Index
Last update 3 May 2001.
To contact astronauts or cosmonauts.
Contact Mark Wade with any corrections or comments.
Cosmonaut data by Alexander B. Zheleznyakov.
Conditions for use of drawings, pictures, or other materials from this site..
© Mark Wade, 2001 .