This page no longer updated from 31 October 2001. Latest version can be found at www.astronautix.com
Piers John Sellers
Status: Active. Trained as: Astronaut. Profession: Mission Specialist. Sex: Male. Marital Status: Married. Children: Two. Birth Date: 11 April 1955. Birth City: Crowborough. Birth State: Sussex. Birth Country: UK. Nationality: American. Group: 1996 NASA Group. Date Selected: 01 May 1996.
NASA Official Biography
- NAME: Piers J. Sellers (Ph.D.)
- NASA Astronaut Candidate (Mission Specialist)
- PERSONAL DATA:
- Born April 11, 1955 in Crowborough, Sussex, United Kingdom. Married to the former Amanda Helen Lomas from Yorkshire, United Kingdom. They have two children. He enjoys family, flying, all kinds of exercise, reading.
- Graduated from Cranbrook School, Cranbrook, Kent, United Kingdom, in 1973; received a bachelor of science degree in ecological science from the University of Edinburgh (Scotland) in 1976, and received a doctorate in biometeorology from Leeds University (United Kingdom) in 1981.
- American Geophysical Union (AGU), American Meteorology Society (AMS).
- Arthur Fleming Award in 1995, Fellow of AGU in 1996, AMS Houghton Award in 1997, and several NASA science/achievement awards.
- Piers has worked on research into how the Earth's Biosphere and Atmosphere interact. His work involved computer modeling of the climate system, satellite remote sensing studies and lots of coordinated field work utilizing aircraft, satellites and ground teams in places such as Kansas, Russia, Africa, Canada and Brazil. He has logged over 1,100 hours as pilot in command of various light piston-engined aircraft (singles and twins) which have been used in these experiments. Most of this work was done while Piers was based at or near NASA Goddard Space Flight Center.
- NASA EXPERIENCE:
- Piers was selected as an astronaut candidate by NASA in April 1996. He reported to the NASA Johnson Space Center in August 1996 to begin two years of training and evaluation. Successful completion of initial training will qualify him for various technical assignments leading to selection as a mission specialist on a Space Shuttle flight crew.
Back to Index
Last update 3 May 2001.
To contact astronauts or cosmonauts.
Contact Mark Wade with any corrections or comments.
Cosmonaut data by Alexander B. Zheleznyakov.
Conditions for use of drawings, pictures, or other materials from this site..
© Mark Wade, 2001 .