This page no longer updated from 31 October 2001. Latest version can be found at www.astronautix.com
Donald Roy Pettit
Status: Active. Trained as: Astronaut. Profession: Mission Specialist. Sex: Male. Marital Status: Married. Birth Date: 20 April 1955. Birth City: Silverton. Birth State: Oregon. Birth Country: USA. Nationality: American. Group: 1996 NASA Group. Date Selected: 01 May 1996.
NASA Official Biography
- NAME: Donald R. Pettit (Ph.D.)
- NASA Astronaut Candidate (Mission Specialist)
- PERSONAL DATA:
- Born April 20, 1955 in Silverton, Oregon. Married. He enjoys photography, and swimming.
- Graduated from Silverton Union High School, Silverton, Oregon, in 1973; received a bachelor of science degree in chemical engineering from Oregon State Univeristy in 1978; and a doctorate in chemical engineering from the University of Arizona in 1983.
- Staff scientist at Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico from 1984-1996. Projects included reduced gravity fluid flow and materials processing experiments on board the NASA KC-135 airplane, atmospheric spectroscopy measurements on noctolucent clouds seeded from sounding rocket payloads, volcano fumarole gas sampling on active volcanos, and problems in detonation physics applied to weapon systems. He was a member of The Synthesis Group, slated with assembling the technology to return to the moon and explore Mars (1990), and the Space Station Freedom re-design team (1993).
- NASA EXPERIENCE:
- Selected by NASA in April 1996, Dr. Pettit reported to the Johnson Space Center in August 1996 to begin two years of training and evaluation. Successful completion of initial training will qualify him for various technical assignments leading to selection as a mission specialist on a Space Shuttle flight crew.
Back to Index
Last update 3 May 2001.
To contact astronauts or cosmonauts.
Contact Mark Wade with any corrections or comments.
Cosmonaut data by Alexander B. Zheleznyakov.
Conditions for use of drawings, pictures, or other materials from this site..
© Mark Wade, 2001 .