STS-89 - - 1998 Jan 23 - Assignment: Prime Crew. Flight Time: 8.82 days. Flight details: STS-89.
Penultimate Shuttle mission to Mir. Andy Thomas replaced David Wolf as the resident NASA astronaut. Endeavour docked with the SO module on Mir at 20:14 GMT on January 24, 1998.
- Orbiter middeck: CEBAS (German/US biological module with fish and snails); dinosaur skull (part of a museum educational program)
- Bay 1: Tunnel Adapter
- Bay 3: Orbiter Docking System/External Airlock
- Bay 4-7: Transfer Tunnel
- Bay 8-12: Spacehab Double Module (payloads included supplies for Mir, X-ray crystallography detector planned for the International Space Station)
- Bay 13P: Getaway Special GABA carrier with G-141, G-145 (German materials processing experiments)
- Bay 13S: Getaway Special GABA carrier with G-093 (University of Michigan fluid dynamics experiment), G-432 (Chinese materials processing experiment)
Despite fits problems with his Sokol emergency spacesuit, Andy Thomas replaced David Wolf as a Mir crew member on January 25. Endeavour undocked from Mir on January 29 at 16:57 GMT and made one flyaround of the station before departing and landing at Kennedy Space Center's runway 15 at 22:35 GMT on January 31.