vul. Krushelnitska 2
The center is a joint project between EcoPravo-Lviv and the American Bar Association's Central and East European Law Initiative (CEELI). A pilot project of CEELI, which hopes to set up a network of EPACs in Eastern Europe, the center's principal goals are:
- Environmental Protection. Empowerment of individuals and groups in their relationship with decision-makers, leading to resolution of environmental issues on a higher level.
- Legal Education. Raising the level of environmental and legal culture of citizens and NGOs.
- Public Interest Professionalism. Training a new generation of environmental lawyers, providing a practical education, with a high level of professionalism
- Promotion of Professional Support. Increased awareness by lawyers and judges of environmental issues and the need for action.
- Networking. Developing a coordinated network of legal professionals and experts throughout Ukraine.
- Civil Service. Protection of citizens' environmental rights, raising the level of responsibilities of government administrators, increasing the transparency of governmental action.
All EPAC services are offered free of charge and include:
- provision of legal and advisory services to environmental NGOs and citizens;
- consultations on legal issues;
- representation of citizens' and NGOs' interests in state and prosecutor bodies as well as in courts;
- clinical program: provision of practical legal education to students of the Law Department of Lviv State University, working on issues arising from actual cases under the supervision of highly qualified lawyers;
- organizing training programs on legal issues, advocacy topics, negotiation and alternative dispute resolution for NGOs, government and professionals such as judges, prosecutors, attorneys and others;
- creating a data base on the environmental legislation of Ukraine and other countries, establishing a small library;
- developing a regional network of legal professionals interested in environmental law and public interest advocacy;
- taking part in drafting of new environmental laws and regulations of Ukraine;
- providing accurate information on environmental and legal issues.
EPAC has an affiliate in Kharkiv.
Last updated: January 1997