129-A Artema Street Room 210
In order to assist Ukraine in its move toward democracy, it is important that a strong civil society exist. RSC was created in September 1997 under the initiative of DRC employees and some regional NGOs. Our mission is to support the development of regional NGOs. According to our statutes and programs, we have the following goals: to investigate and analyze Ukrainian NGO problems and activities; to collaborate with government and business sectors; to provide technical assistance, information, and consulting to regional NGOs; to organize training; to increase NGO professionalism. Although the RSC was established recently (September 1997), the staff has extensive experience in working with the NGO community. The employees at the RSC have received timely and pertinent training in NGO development. They are qualified to effectively present seminars and training to NGOs on the following topics: The Role of NGOs in a Civil Society, Fundraising, Financial Management, Public Relations, Conflict/Resolution, Proposal Writing, and Strategic Planning. Prior to opening the RSC, the staff had worked at an NGO resource center since August 1996. During the past year, the employees of the RSC have supported their NGO clients on the following: list of NGOs in the Donetsk area; a series of seminars for NGOs in the Donetsk region; technical assistance; regular consultation for individual NGOs on various projects; mini-grant competition of The Eurasia Foundation; contacts with Ukrainian and foreign NGOs and donor organizations; and a working relationship with sponsors and regional NGOs and their activities.
Two of our staff have recently returned from the USA and have had intensive training on Women in Business and NGO Development.
The objectives of the Regional NGO Service Center are:
- Create an awareness and positive image of NGOs in the region
- Cultivate a relationship with NGOs in the region and improve their effectiveness Stimulate the creation of new NGOs
- Increase the cooperation and information exchange between NGOs
- Work toward strengthening the relationship between NGOs, Business, and Government in order to improve community life in the region
- Create and support satellite centers in surrounding communities
- Increase NGOs' influence on legislation through advocacy
- To work together with the ten regional centers to develop civil society and advocacy in Ukraine
International Partners include: The Eurasia Foundation, United States Peace Corps, Charles Mott Foundation, AIESEC, Renaissance Foundation and many other International donors and NGOs.
Last updated: June 1999
A print version of much of the information contained in this NIS Third Sector Organizations section can be found in the The Post-Soviet Handbook (Seattle and London: University of Washington Press, 1999).