ul. Arkhitekturnaia 10
According to Social Rehabilitation, 189,000 people–five percent of the population–are registered as disabled in Nizhny Novgorod and its surrounding area of 3.74 million. The organization was founded in 1996 to protect the rights of this often-neglected sector and enable the integration of disabled persons into society. It also lobbies for legislative reforms to prevent discrimination of the disabled.
The organization sponsors free legal consultations for local disabled citizens with lawyers, social workers, and medical/orthopedic specialists. It is in the process of forming a Center for the Protection of the Rights of the Disabled. The center will:
- Maintain a databank of disabled organisations and individuals, employment opportunities and publications
- Train the leaders of disabled organizations
- Improve outreach to disabled people in rural areas
- Develop computer courses for the disabled at Nizhny Novgorod Economic College
- Provide Internet access through the Internet Center of N. Novgorod State University
- Foster regional and international links with local groups
- Organize meetings of regional and urban leaders with representatives of disabled social organisations
Issue Your Right, a monthly supplement to the newspaper Nizhegorodsky Invalid.
Last updated: February 1999
A print version of much of the information contained in this NIS Third Sector Organizations section can be found in the The Post-Soviet Handbook (Seattle and London: University of Washington Press, 1999).