ISHR-IGFM Web Site:www.ishr.org
The National Section of Georgia (formerlly know as the National Group of Georgia of the International Society for Human Rights, registered by the International Council of the International Society for Human Rights on November 1, 1997) was registered on December 6, 1998. The organization had receiced the status of National Section of Georgia of ISHR-IGFM on the December 6, 1998. Organization members are responsible for publishing a newspaper, "Adamianis Uplebebi" ("Human Rights"), and press-releases about the situation in the fields of human rights, freedom of the press and speech and social-economic and cultural rights in Georgia and the Caucasian region. In October 1998, the Section co-founded the international association "CAUCASUS: Ethnic Relations, Human Rights, Geopolitics" (IACERHRG). The IACERHRG Web site is located at: http://members.theglobe.com/levur/iacerhrg
The National Section of Georgia is officially registered by the International Council of the ISHR-IGFM. ISHR-IGFM is a Germany-based worldwide Human Rights Organisation (Founded in 1972 in Frankfurt/Main) with 40 National Sections and Groups.
The basic aims and goals of the National Section of Georgia of ISHR-IGFM:
- Study the conflicts, existing in the Republic of Georgia and the Caucasian region
- Monitoring of infringement of Human Rights and Basic Freedoms in Georgia and the Caucasus
- Permanent activities against the censorship and dictatorship
- Defence of the rights of political prisoners and refugees in the Republic of Georgia
- Defence of the rights of journalists
- Activities in the field of Freedom of the Press and speech
- Defence of the cultural and social-economic rights of the civil society
- Permanently support the idea of the Caucasian nations existing in Peace and Freedom
- Educational, research and publishing activities in the fields of Human Rights, Conflictology, History of the Human Rights movement in Georgia and the Caucasian region, Rights of Nations
The Official Partner Organizations of the National Section of Georgia of ISHR-IGFM in the Republic of Georgia:
- the International Association CAUCASUS: Ethnic Relations, Human Rights, Geopolitics (IACERHRG)
- The Independent Newspaper Adamianis Uplebebi ("Human Rights"
- the Independent Newspaper Tvaltai
- the Zviad Gamsakhurdia Society in the Netherlands
International partners, aside from the International Society of Human Rights, include The Netherlands Helsinki Union and Human Rights Watch\ Helsinki.
The newspaper run by the organization is published in Georgia with involvement from the International Human Rights community. The Society states that its basic goals and aims are:
- Monitoring of infringement of Human Rights and Basic Freedoms in the Republic of Georgia and the Caucasian region;
- Monitoring of infringement of Freedom of the Press and speech in Georgia and the Caucasian region;
- Permanent activism against the censorship and dictatorship in the field of Journalism;
- Study and analysis of the conflicts, existing in Georgia and the Caucasus;
- Educational, research and publishing activities.
In 1997 the Editorial Staff of "Adamianis Uplebebi" ("Human Rights") had received the Grant from the Westminster Foundation for Democracy (V.GEO.2.F.AB).
The Society is organizing an international conference on "The Genocide of the Peoples in the Caucasus" 28-29 October, 1998, in Tbilisi. The main themes of the Conference will be: 1) The anticaucasian, repressive policy of the Soviet empire (1917-1991), 2) Postsoviet Russia and the Caucasus (1991-1998), 3) Human Rights and Basic Freedoms in the Caucasus.
The National Section of Georgia of ISHR-IGFM accepts contributions from persons, independent funds and NGO's. Section does not accept the donations from the governmental bodies and the political parties.
Bank Account for contributions:
In Favour of: the National Section of Georgia of ISHR
Account No: 225070848
United Georgian Bank
Republic of Georgia, Tbilisi
Swift Code: UGEBGE22XXX
Chanturia Street 14
Republic of Georgia.
Correspondent Bank: CITY BANK, New York, USA,
C/a No: 36021436
February 23-25, 2000 the National Section of Georgia of the ISHR was Co-Organizer of the 1st International Congress "The Contemporary World and Human Rights in Georgia" (Batumi, Georgia).
Last updated: April 2000
A print version of much of the information contained in this NIS Third Sector Organizations section can be found in the The Post-Soviet Handbook (Seattle and London: University of Washington Press, 1999).