14, Starovilenskaya Str.
For the Children of Chernobyl was founded in the summer of 1989 and legally registered in November 1990. Chairman of the Board of the Fund since its foundation is Gennady Grushevoy, Ph.D., professor of philosophy at Belarusian State University since 1973 and, since 1990, a member of the Belarus parliament. In his latter capacity, Dr. Grushevoy sits on two permanent parliamentary commissions, dealing with issues of constitutional law and Chernobyl.
For the Children of Chernobyl is one of the largest self-supported social organizations in Belarus. It has teams in over 20 cities or regions of the country and over 40 long-term programs of charitable, medical and humanitarian outreach. Among other accomplishments, it has:
For the Children of Chernobyl describes itself as "a decisive opponent of the development of nuclear power stations in the Republic of Belarus and in the world and a defender of civic rights and freedoms of people from any form of state-bureaucratic dictatorship."
- arranged for nearly 400 sick children to receive medical treatment abroad
- provided direct material aid to thousands of evacuee families, Chernobyl invalids, and rescue workers
- constructed a facility for producing ecologically pure food on a collective farm in the Brest district
- created specialized nursery school programs for handicapped children
- facilitated direct relations between foreign partners of the Fund and hospitals, schools, orphanages and other public organizations in 32 areas of Belarus. (Foreign partners in the U.S. include World Vision International, CitiHope International, and a number of Protestant and Orthodox parishes.)
To contact Dr. Grushevoy at home:
47 Prospekt Pushkina, apt. 89
Minsk 220082 Tel. 550-113
Coordinator of North American relations with the Fund is Dr. Yuri Pancrats.
He speaks fluent English and can be contacted at the Fund offices, or at home:
To contact Dr. Pancrats at home:
43-2 Masherov Ave., apt. 75
Minsk 220029 Tel. 238-573
For further information in the U.S. about the Belarusian Charitable Fund For the Children of Chernobyl contact:
Nancy Neal Oldenettel
Federal Way, WA
Tel. (206) 946-9241
Last updated: December 1996
A print version of much of the information contained in this NIS Third Sector Organizations section can be found in the The Post-Soviet Handbook (Seattle and London: University of Washington Press, 1999).