41, Khagani str., App. 79
Baku, Azerbaijan 370000
Tel/Fax: (99412) 93 83 97
April 29 meeting of Democratic Congress
the basis of provisions of Azerbaijani Constitution, Universal Declaration on
Human Rights and under the obligations of Azerbaijan before the Council of
Europe the participants of meeting demand:
monopoly of government over the upcoming parliamentarian elections in fall 2000
should be removed and conditions for free, fair and democratic elections should
be provided. Progressive electoral reforms have to be processed. For this
1. The proposal of Democratic Congress on «Central Election Commission»
and on «Election to Milli Majlis of Azerbaijan Republic» should be discussed
and adopted in Milli Majlis.
2. The composition of Central Election Commission and other electoral
commissions should be created on the basis of parity from representatives of
opposition and the government.
3. For providing the maximum monitoring of elections the appropriate
projects of international organizations should be realized.
period and during the elections there should be created the equal conditions for
all political forces and individuals and democratic environment should be
1. Faraj Guliev, Iskander Hamidov, Siyavush Mustafaev, Asef Guliev, Fehmin
Hajiyev, Gurban Mammadov, Galander Muhtarly and other political prisoners should
2. All prisoners who fought for Karabakh, former members of special police
forces who had not been involved in murder should be amnestied.
3. State television should allocate for opposition seven hours of time in a
4. There should be allocated suitable places for holding meetings and
demonstrations in other towns and regions of Azerbaijan under the law on «Free
Last updated: June 2001
A print version of much of the information contained in this NIS Third Sector Organizations section can be found in the The Post-Soviet Handbook (Seattle and London: University of Washington Press, 1999).