On May 20-22 the Soros Foundation Kazakhstan, in the framework of the National Education Project and with the financial support of the East-East Network Program, is hosting an International Conference "Multicultural Education: Policy, Planning, Sharing".
The goals of the conference are:
Participants from NIS and Eastern Europe countries are welcomed, but the participants from Western countries are supposed to take responsibility for their travel expenses.
- to strengthen the role and position of NGOs in solving problems of multicultural education;
- to develop NGOs' projects solving problems of multicultural education;
- to create and develop regional initiatives aiming to solve problems of multicultural education mentioned above;
- to involve government authorities into open dialog with the non-governmental institutions in the field of multicultural education;
- to share experience in this field.
The participants can be:
In the case of an applicant's approval by the organizers, all expenses connected with the conference (travel, accommodation and meals) will be covered by the Soros Foundation.
- representatives of education authorities (Ministries of Education, Regional Departments of Education, Teachers' Training Institutes);
- representatives of educational institutions (state and private schools, non-school educational institutions), cultural centers, educational NGOs, etc.;
- scholars in the field of multicultural education.
Issues for Discussion at the Conference
1. Different approaches to the problems of multicultural education: social approach; approach from the position of human rights; multicultural approach; approach from the position of nationality.
2. Ways of solving national minorities' problems: minorities' integration; solving problems of education on the school level; solving problems of education on the system level.
3. Identifying main strategic directions of activity: multicultural education (programs giving knowledge on history, culture, and basic information on ethnic groups living together in the society whose attention is focused on the value of cultural diversity); intercultural education (programs for children studying in the same school or class, aimed to assist the development of mutual understanding and respect); education for minorities (programs giving knowledge of the language, culture and history for minorities' children, strengthening their self-respect and self-consciousness, bilingual programs, programs for teaching in the mother tongue of minorities).
Those who are interested in the conference are encouraged to send their application forms and theses of the reports to Galina Kuznetsova, 117-20, Furmanova St., 480091 Almaty, Kazakhstan. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for the applications is April 20, 2000. After April 25, the applicants will be informed about their participation in the conference.
Last updated: April 2000