A conference entitled "Diversity within Unity: Civil Society and Human Community" is to be held in Prague from the 2nd-6th August 1999. The focus of the conference is primarily on the context of Europe in the widest sense (to include eastern europe and the Baltic States), and to concentrate on the meaning of (European) community. Themes will include;
* the nature of social, national, and international relationships
* social antagonism, cultural identity, and ethnicity within and across states
* violence, non-violence, and civil disobedience
* peace, justice, and the possibilities for reconciliation
* tolerance, dialogue, and the intolerable
* civil society, civility, persons and the state
* persons, federalism, communitarianism
* persons, difference, and the "foreign"
* religion, religious identity, and the european community
* broadening the boundaries of business and economic possibilities
* broadening the boundaries of politics and political possibilities
The conference is part of a larger series of conferences being offered in the future, run under the general banner 'At the Interface'. It aims to bring together people from different areas and interests to share ideas and explore various discussions which are innovative and exciting.
Anyone wishing to make a presentation should send a 300 word abstract to Prof. Fisher by 24th May 1999.
Dr Rob Fisher
Last updated: May 1999