home

MAIN TEXT | NEXT IMAGE


CLICK TO ENLARGE - 24K

Plan of Sobibor extermination camp. This camp was built in March 1942 for only one purpose: to kill as many people as quickly as possible. Transports arrived by rail (55), and people were taken immediately toward the gas chambers. On the way, they had to undress in a barrack (31) or in the yard (33).
All clothes, food and valuables brought by the prisoners were sorted and stored (barracks 32, 34, 36, 42-44). Further down the narrow, fenced-in passage toward the gas chambers, the hair of the women was cut and stored (45). People were then forced into the five gas chambers (51) with a total capacity of 500 prisoners. The bodies were disposed of in mass graves or open crematoria (54). The camp staff consisted of about 30 SS men, 100 Ukrainian helpers and about 1,000 Jewish laborers. Most victims were Jews from eastern Poland, the Soviet Union, from Austria, Holland, Belgium and France.