home

MAIN TEXT | NEXT IMAGE

The Great or Central Synagogue in Arkhipova Street, Moscow, opened in 1891, only to be immediately closed. First the dome had to be removed, then the order came to convert the building into a trade school, then into a religious school, a philanthropic institute, etc. The building was constantly under reconstruction, while the 10,000 Moscow Jews were allowed five prayer halls that could seat 816 persons. Only in 1906, during the First Duma, was the building finally allowed to function as a synagogue.