International: Hungarian Mushroom Soup
INGREDIENTS and PROPORTIONS:
340 grams (12 ounces) fresh mushrooms
2 cups onions
7 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon dill weed
1 Tablespoon Hungarian paprika
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups stock or water
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup sour cream or yogurt
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1) Slice the mushrooms into 1/8 inch thick slices and set aside.
DIFFICULTY RATE: Easy
2) Chop the onions and saute them in 4 Tablespoons of the butter.
3) When the onions begin to soften (after about 3 minutes), add the mushrooms,
1 teaspoon of dill, 1/2 cup of the stock or water, the soy sauce and the paprika.
Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
4) Melt the remaining 3 Tablespoons of the butter in a large saucepan. Stir in
the flour and cook gently, stirring, for one or two minutes. Gradually add the milk,
stirring constantly and cook, stirring frequently, over low heat for about 10 minutes
or until thick.
5) Stir the mushroom mixture and remaining stock into the milk mixture. Cover and
simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
6) Just before serving, put the sour cream or yogurt into a small bowl and add a
small amount of the soup. Stir until well blended, then add a bit more soup and
blend well. Pour this mixture back into the soup and mix well. Add the lemon juice
and salt and pepper to taste. Additional dill may be added, if desired.
7) Serve garnished with the chopped parsley.
Name: Marian Russell
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org