REDFISH-RASTA - A marinade for redfish
INGREDIENTS and PROPORTIONS:
2 oz dried tamarind
1/2 cup boiling water
4 lbs unripe mangos
2 cups malt vinegar
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup ginger root, chopped
1 tsp garlic, chopped
1 tsp fresh hot chilies, chopped
1/2 tsp ground allspice
2 Tbsp salt
(1) Place the tamarind in a bowl and pour boiling
water over it. Soak for an hour. Drain, pressing
down hard with the back of a spoon before discard-
ing the seeds and fibers.
(2) Peel each mango and cut flesh away from seed. Cut
into one-inch cubes.
(3) Combine the mangos and vinegar and bring to a boil
over high heat and cook for 10 minutes.
(4) Stir in the sugar, raisins, ginger root, garlic,
chilies, allspice, and salt. Reduce heat to low
and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes. Cool.
(5) Pur'^Hee the mixture in a blender and it's ready f
TIME-CONSUMING: 1 hour soaking, 30 minutespreparation, 1 hour cooking, 12 hours marinating.
DIFFICULTY RATE: Fair
Marinade can be stored in the refrigerator for 2 weeks.
Mangos are a seasonal fruit.
> From Jeffrey's restaurant in Austin, Texas, our favorite
place to go for good food in the city. Marinate a fresh
redfish in this for 12 hours, then broil it.
Name: Bill and Joyce Bulko
Email address: bulko@sally.UTEXAS.UUCP