Russia, 119899, Moscow
The non-governmental, non-profit Association "Women in Science and Education" (AWSE) was created on 21 September 1994. The goal of AWSE is to support the efforts of women in their selfless and relentless work in science and education.
The main activities of the organization are:
- Organization of conferences, congresses, seminars and other events for discussion of professional and social problems of women in science and education.
- Support of women participation in international and Russian scientific and educational events.
- Information about international and Russian grants, competitions and other kinds of possible financial support for women working in science and education.
- Support of women in their scientific and teaching career and nomination to key administrative positions in science and education.
- Contacts with other women international and Russian organizations.
- Contacts with other professional and public organizations, scientific associations etc.
Projects of AWSE include the following:
- Scientific and educational literature. Edition, re-edition and distribution all round the Russian schools and universities.
- Creation of a library of computer educational programs for schools and universities and distribution by UNTERNET.
- Participation in centers of special education.
- International, Russian and local summer schools for children (mathematics, science, humanitarian)
- Faces of Russian Science. Collection and publication of materials on the history of Russian women scientists and teachers in 20th century.
- Database of personalities - women in science and education in modern Russia.
The organization has about six hundred members in more than forty cities of Russia and the former Soviet Union. Local branches are in:
- Nizhni Novgorod.
Last updated: June 1998
A print version of much of the information contained in this NIS Third Sector Organizations section can be found in the The Post-Soviet Handbook (Seattle and London: University of Washington Press, 1999).