Digest for November 18, 1998

01-18 November 98  Sender:  corbett@jmcostumers.com
                   Subject: from Judith A. Corbett

                   Subject: from Allen Mahan

                   Subject: from jerry

                   Subject: from Polina

                   Subject: from Jana and Luba

                   Subject: from sarah

                   Subject: Russian Sports News

                   Subject: CDI Russia Weekly--Sample Copy

                   Subject: Internship openings, Spring 1999 and Summer 1999

                   Subject: Russia-America Pen Pal Program

                   Subject: Kennan Institute Grant Opportunity

                   Subject: REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS- USIA NIS University

07-18 November 98  Sender:  IREX Human Resources (hr@irex.org)
                   Subject: Program Associate

08-18 November 98  Sender:  IREX Human Resources (hr@irex.org)
                   Subject: Administrative Assistant

09-18 November 98  Sender:  IREX Human Resources (hr@irex.org)
                   Subject: Database Assistant

10-18 November 98  Sender:  gcole@solar.rtd.utk.edu
                   Subject: Internet Access and Training Program in the New
			                 Independent States for Alumni of USIA Academic and
	                         Professional Exchanges

11-18 November 98  Sender:  "Sergey Solyanik" (sergey@solyanik.com)
                   Subject: INFO-RUSS: Shipping from Russia to the USA

12-18 November 98  Sender:  LeMirage89@aol.com
                   Subject: Russian cuisine

13-18 November 98  Sender:  "Lisa Pawloski" (ljp@iserv.net)
                   Subject: Anna Pavlova the great Ballernia

14-18 November 98  Sender:  "Elena Litchman" (litchman@serc.si.edu)
                   Subject: INFO-RUSS: looking for a Russian-speaking
                            community in MD

15-18 November 98  Sender:  "Alexander Samoiloff" (tolmach@usa.net)
                   Subject: From Khabarovsk

16-18 November 98  Sender:  "Serguei A. Oushakine" (oushakin@ssc.upenn.edu)
                   Subject: Open Women Line - new Russian

17-18 November 98  Sender:  "Serguei A. Oushakine" (oushakin@ssc.upenn.edu)
                   Subject: Pre-Dissertation Fellowship in Slavic Women Studie

18-18 November 98  Sender:  "Serguei A. Oushakine" (oushakin@ssc.upenn.edu)
                   Subject: EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT FELLOWSHIPS

19-18 November 98  Sender:  "Andrey Ozharovskii" (zarov@host.cis.lead.org)
                   Subject: invitation to election observation in St.Petersburg

20-18 November 98  Sender:  "Dennis McConnell, Maine Business School"
                            (Mac@Maine.edu)
                   Subject: Assistance for Flood Victims in Ukraine

21-18 November 98  Sender:  "John Daly" (jckdaly@hotmail.com)
                   Subject: A new journal

22-18 November 98  Sender:  "Russian Information & Business Center, Inc. USA"
                               (rusric@erols.com)
                   Subject: Dealing with Russia:A Winning Strategy for the
                            Future

Sender:  corbett@jmcostumers.com

I am sponsoring a young woman from Novokuznetsk to come to this country to
study.  She is just about to leave N. and go to Moscow to get her Visa.  I
can't solve the Mideast crisis or clean up polluted dump-sites but
one-on-one I can extend the hand of friendship to one young person on whose
shoulders and those like her, will rest the future of her country.  Judy
Corbett, North Hollywood, California

Sender:  Val1958@aol.com

Hello to you all.  I am starting a search for any Russian military officer
who served in the Russsian Army Strategic rocket forces from 1962 to 1965.
I served in the US Air Force Strategic Balistic Missile Force as a Launch
crew commander during that time and am starting a book

Sender:  jerry07@gateway.net

Sorry i joined the chat to late,i really wanted to get to meet some new
friends from far away places.  pleasw email me at jerry07@gateway.net i
would love to hear from anyone interested in having good conversation.

Sender:  2582@dialup.mplik.ru

Hi!

My name is Pola.  I'm 19.  I'm a student of the Art Academy.  My hooby is
English, but sometimes I make mistakes in writing.  Also I like travelling.
I want to meet a boyfriend in Internet.

Ciao.

Sender:  stealth@icontech.com

Hello and zdravstvoytye!  My name is Jana and i am 16 years old and live in
America.  I have Russian in school for 4 years, and will be participating
in a 3 week exchange program between my school and school #61 in Saint
Petersburg in April.  Right now, Luba is staying at my house (she is from
that school and I will live with her when i am in Russia).  Hello i am
Luba, 15 years old.  I love America.  This exchange program is much
fun...except that some of these Americans are a little crazy!!!!!!!!!
(especially Dennis Macheska...don't EVER listen to a word he says if you
happen to meet him!!!!)  If you would like to talk to us some more to find
out about our exchange experiences so far...email us before Nov.21!!!
Goodbye and do-svedaneya!!!

Sender:  "Miterev" (carino@glasnet.ru)

Dear Radio Liberty,

Today, 14 Nov 1998, you have broadcasted a historical report in Russian
associated with post-World War II events in Soviet medicine.  The events of
1945-1946 were related to G.A. Miterev, Minister of Health of the USSR .
Unfortunatelly, I could not hear the report for myself, but as grandson of
G.A. Miterev, I am interested in the information very much.  If it
possible, would you be so kind to send me by e-mail the full text of the
report.

Sincerely yours,

G.Y.Miterev, MD

Sender:  chebbah@hotmail.com

I am searching for a guy that I used to write to many years ago.  At the
time he lived in Minsk.  His name is Kirill Targonski.  If anyone who knows
of him reads this post, could you please help me contact him.  Thank you
very much.

Sender:  "Alexander Gruntsev" (gruntsev@informika.ru)

Dear Friends,

There is a new resource on Russian sports news at CBS SportsLine
(in Russian language):

   http://www.SportsLine.com/u/worldwide/russia/index.html

The most interesting thing is that there are not just sports facts, but
news strories from different Russian newspapers (not only sports-
oriented).  And oftenly this page features Russian political figures as
they relate to sports events.

Regards!

Sender:  David Johnson (davidjohnson@erols.com)

[In case you are now aware of it I am sending you a recent issue of the CDI
Russia Weekly.  If you wish to receive future issues please contact me.
It's free and the content is not duplicative of Johnson's Russia List
(JRL).  If you are not familiar with JRL you can ask me about it.  David
Johnson]

CDI Russia Weekly
Edited by David Johnson
Center for Defense Information
1779 Massachusetts Ave. NW
Washington DC 20036
phone: 202-332-0600; fax:202-462-4559
djohnson@cdi.org

The CDI Russia Weekly is an e-mail newsletter that carries news and
analysis on all aspects of today's Russia, including political,
economic, social, military, and foreign policy issues. With funding
from the Carnegie Corporation of New York, CDI Russia Weekly is a
project of the Washington-based Center for Defense Information (CDI),
a nonprofit research and education organization.

CDI Russia Weekly web page: http://www.cdi.org/russia/

Content:
  1. RFE/RL: Floriana Fossato, Russia: Would Speedy START Two Ratification
Bring More Aid Money?
  2. Moscow Times: Pavel Felgenhauer, DEFENSE DOSSIER: Tug of War Over Arms
Trade.
  3. The Independent (UK): Helen Womack, Jewish insults cause a storm.
  4. Christian Science Monitor: Jonathan Landay, US Steps Back From
Partnership
With Russia.
  5. Moscow Tribune: Lyuba Pronina, Impotence Wonder Drug Finally Comes to
Russia.
  6. Congressional Record: Senator Patrick Moynihan, DARE NOT SPURN RUSSIA.
  7. Senator William V. Roth, Jr. (President, North Atlantic Assembly),
NATO in the 21st Century. (Excerpts re Russia).
  8. Russia Today: ROd Pounsett, Good News? What Good News?
  9. Nezavisimoye Voyennoye Obozreniye: Andrey Revunov, "Strategy:  Might Is
Right. The Americans Intend To Increase Their Influence on Russia's Southern
Borders."
  10. St. Petersburg Times: Alice Lagnado, 81 Years On, Revolution Day Shows
Its Age.
  11. Nezavisimaya Gazeta: The Government Is Fighting for the Generals'
Loyalty.

Sender:  "JOSEPH DRESEN" (DRESENJO@WWIC.SI.EDU)

*********************************
Internship Positions * Washington, DC
*********************************

The Kennan Institute for Advanced Russian Studies of the Woodrow Wilson
Center in Washington, DC, offers paid Research Assistantships throughout
the year for undergraduate, graduate students and prospective graduate
students who are either U.S. citizens or permanent residents.  A number of
positions are still available beginning in September.  Each research
assistant works with a Fellow or Research Scholar in residence at the
Institute over a period of three to nine months.  Applicants must have a
good command of the Russian language, good organizational skills, and be
able to conduct independent research.

A Research Assistantship at the Kennan Institute complements any student's
academic interest in Russian or Soviet Studies.  Research Assistants have
the opportunity to:

		 Work closely with a prominent scholar in the field.

		 Attend discussions and seminars sponsored by the Institute.

		 Build on research skills you've acquired in college.

		 Gain the privilege to use the Kennan Institute Library,
		  which houses approximately 7,500 volumes and more than fifty
		  Russian journals and newspapers.

		 Have the opportunity to use your Russian language skills.

		 Have a flexible schedule of 15 hours per week.

If you are interested in continuing in Russian Studies, a research
assistantship at the Kennan Institute will provide practical experience in
the field while helping you establish contacts with academics and policy
makers that may prove useful for achieving future career objectives.

To apply, send a resume and cover letter describing your research interests
to:

Research Assistantships
Kennan Institute for Advanced Russian Studies
Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars
One Woodrow Wilson Plaza
1300 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20523

The Woodrow Wilson Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and as such
follows EOE guidelines in the selection of its interns and research
assistants.

For more information, please call (202) 691-4245.  You may also fax your
resume to (202) 691-4001.

Joseph Dresen
Program Assistant
Kennan Institute for Advanced Russian Studies
Woodrow Wilson Center
One Woodrow Wilson Plaza
1300 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20523 (20004 for deliveries)

tel.  202-691-4245
fax  202-691-4001

dresenjo@wwic.si.edu
http://wwics.si.edu

Sender:  Ian Chesley of Peace Links (zvenyamira@igc.org)

Dear Friends,

I would like to invite English-speakers to participate in the Peace Links
Pen Pals for Peace Program, a free organization that promotes peace between
the West and the former Soviet Union.  Both Russians and Americans (as well
as people from other countries) are invited to participate.  So, if you are
interested, please write to us at:

Peace Links
Pen Pals for Peace
729 8th St. SE, 300
Washington, DC 20003

ph. (202) 544 0805
fx. (202) 544 0809

Please note, this is NOT AN INTRODUCTIONS SERVICE! This is a pen pal
program.  We also cannot accomadate requests by email.  Those interested
should send a short letter via post about themselves including name, age,
sex, address, and hobbies or interests.  This service is free!  We look
forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,
Ian Chesley

Sender:  "Jennifer Giglio" (GIGLIOJE@WWIC.SI.EDU)

KENNAN INSTITUTE SHORT-TERM GRANTS (up to one months' duration)

The Kennan Institute offers Short-term Grants to scholars who demonstrate a
particular need to utilize the library, archival, and other specialized
resources of the Washington, D.C., area.  Academic participants must either
possess a doctoral degree or be doctoral candidates who have nearly
completed their dissertations.  For non-academics, an equivalent degree of
professional achievement is expected.

Short-term Grants provide a stipend of $100 per day.  There is no official
application form for short-term grants.  The applicant is requested to
submit a concise description (700-800 words) of his or her research
project, a curriculum vitae, a statement on preferred dates of residence in
Washington, D.C., and two letters of recommendation specifically in support
of the research to be conducted at the Institute.  Applicants should also
note their citizenship or permanent residency status in their materials.
Applications should be submitted in clear dark type, printed on one side
only, without staples.

Grant recipients are required to be in residence in Washington, D.C., for
the duration of their grant.  Four rounds of competitive selection for
Short-term Grants are held each year.  Closing dates are December 1, March
1, June 1, and September 1.  Applicants are notified of the competition
results roughly six weeks after the closing date.  U.S. citizens, permanent
residents, and non-Americans are eligible for Short-term Grants, although
funding for non-American applicants is limited.  Approximately one in three
American applicants and one in six non-American applicants are awarded
Short-term Grants in each of the four competition rounds.

The Short-term Grant Program is supported by the Russian, Eurasian, and
East European Research and Training Program of the U.S. Department of State
(Title VIII) and the Kennan Institute endowment.  Continuation of the
Short-term Grant Program in 1999-2000 is contingent on future funding.

Please send all application materials to: The Kennan Institute, One Woodrow
Wilson Plaza, 1300 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20523.  For more
information, please e-mail giglioje@wwic.si.edu, call (202) 691-4100, or
fax (202) 691-4247.

Sender:  "Serguei A. Oushakine" (oushakin@ssc.upenn.edu)
Subject: REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS- USIA NIS University Partnerships

REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS- USIA NIS University Partnerships Program

USIA announces the 1999 NIS College and University Partnerships Program
(NISCUPP).

(My apologies to those of you receiving multiple copies of this
announcement.  Contact information can be found at the bottom of this
message, please do not post inquiries to the listserv on which this
announcement is posted.)

US Institutions of higher education are invited to submit proposals for
support of partnership activities with an institution (or institutions) of
higher learning from the New Independent States (Russia, Ukraine, Belarus,
Moldova, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Kazakstan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan,
Uzebekistan, and Turkmenistan).   Grants of up to $300,000 will be awarded
to US colleges or universities in order to support institutional linkages
including faculty exchange and curriculum development.

Eligible disciplines include:

(1) law;

(2) business/economics/trade;

(3) education/continuing education/civic education/educational reform;

(4) government/public policy/public administration/urban and regional
economic development; and

(5) journalism/communications.

For further information:

The full Request for Proposals (RFP) is printed in the Federal Register
dated November 12, 1998.

The Request for Proposals (RFP); Program Objectives, Goals, and
Implementation (POGI); and Proposal Submission Instructions (PSI) can all
be downloaded from the following URL:
http://www.usia.gov/education/rfps/menu.htm

The Solicitation package (RFP, POGI, PSI) can be obtained via
fax-on-demand: 202/401-7616

Or contact one of the two following USIA program officers:

For partnerships with institutions in Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus,
Georgia, Moldova or Ukraine:
Jonathan Cebra
telephone: (202)619-4126
fax: (202)401-1433
internet: jcebra@usia.gov

For partnerships with institutions in Kazakstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia,
Tajikistan, Turkmenistan or Uzbekistan:
Sam Eisen
telephone: (202) 619-4097
fax: (202) 401-1433
internet: seisen@usia.gov

Serguei A. Oushakine

Sender:  IREX Human Resources (hr@irex.org)

Program Associate

IREX, a leader in international education and training seeks an entry-level
Program Associate to join the Academic Exchanges and Research Division.
Principle responsibilities will include providing back-up and administrative
support to Program Officers on a number of IREX programs. Duties will include:
responding to program applicant and fellow inquiries; processing and tracking
financial transactions; maintaining office database and files; drafting
correspondence, reports, and proposals; organizing conferences, orientations,
and training programs. General Requirements: BA in International Studies or
related field; interest in the NIS region and knowledge of Russian or regional
language; strong computer (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and writing skills; and
excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills. This
position is available immediately and a one-year minimum commitment is
required. Send resume and cover letter by Nov 25, 1998 to: IREX, HR/AER, 1616
H. St., NW, Washington, DC 20006, FAX: 202-628-8189, E-mail:
www.hr@irex.org.
No Phone Calls. EOE

Sender:  IREX Human Resources (hr@irex.org)

Administrative Assistant

IREX, a leader in international research and training seeks an Administrative
Assistant to support the Director of the Academic Exchanges and Research
Division.  Duties will include: assisting with administrative management of
division including updating division calendar, contract list, and reporting
deadlines; scheduling and reporting on internal and external meetings;
conducting www research; providing general administrative support (copying,
faxing, filing, phone coverage, etc.); and backing up program staff.
Requirements: BA in International Studies or related field, knowledge of and
interest in the former Soviet region; strong computer skills (MS Word, Excel,
PowerPoint, Internet); knowledge of NIS language preferred; and minimum
one-year commitment. Send resume and cover letter Nov 25, 1998 to: IREX,

Sender:  IREX Human Resources (hr@irex.org)

Part-Time Database Assistant

The International Research & Exchanges Board (IREX), a leader in
international education and training, seeks a part-time database assistant
for researching and updating records in a large database system.  The
successful candidate must have experience working with databases, be able
to independently do research using the Internet and various directories,
and have good attention to detail.  Work hours are flexible, 15-20 hours a
week.  For more information on IREX visit www.irex.org.  Send resume and
cover letter to:

IREX,
HR/DBA