Digest for October 13, 1998

New Moscow Life story by Andrey Sebrant

RECENT GUESTBOOK ENTRIES . . .

01-13 October 98  Sender:  markb@brawleyonline.com
                  Subject: from mark b

                  Subject: from Petra

                  Subject: from Pasquale E. Micciche

                  Subject: from Dottie Ivanega

                  Subject: from Bob Wandtke

                  Subject: Living in Russia Today

                  Subject: my friend Anna

                  Subject: Request for information

                  Subject: Looking for pen-pals

                  Subject: adoption

                  Subject: SCIENTIST: Workshop in Russia:  Basic Research

                  Subject: National Security Education Fellowship

                  Subject: Fellowships at the Nobel Institute

                  Subject: Job: Director for NIS Offices, Project Harmony

                  Subject: Help

                  Subject: DENIS SYROVATSKY

12-13 October 98  Sender:  Lesia Chernihivska (lesia@efortress.com)
                  Subject: "Tiomnaia Noch"

13-13 October 98  Sender:  Celine Micheel (micheel@gima.de)
                  Subject: Pen Pals

14-13 October 98  Sender:  shanwon@ultranet.ca
                  Subject: Tyumen

15-13 October 98  Sender:  Joe Ann Smith (joeanns@wt.net)
                  Subject: weather

16-13 October 98  Sender:  "Igor Moszharov & Dmitry Lakhno"
                            (sfriends@gorodoc.magi.by)
                  Subject: message

17-13 October 98  Sender:  Anuj Sharma (tburt@luminet.net)
                  Subject: interest in medical missions

18-13 October 98  Sender:  "Oleg B. Zulfugarov" (OZulfugarov@OSI-AZ.ORG)
                  Subject: Translator's inquiry

19-13 October 98  Sender:  emargile@solar.cini.utk.edu (Ellee Margileth)
                  Subject: FWD: Atlanta, GA:  Grant-Related Seminars

20-13 October 98  Sender:  nhoop@centuryinter.net (N H)
                  Subject: Hello

21-13 October 98  Sender:  cciusa@igc.apc.org (Center for Citizen Initiatives)
                  Subject: New Web resources/Inquiry on humanitarian aid

22-13 October 98  Sender:  "Gregory&Maria Pearse" (questers@hal-pc.org)
                  Subject: Interesting site

23-13 October 98  Sender:  Roustem Safronov (sgilman@gis.net)
                  Subject: Turkmenistan

24-13 October 98  Sender:  Tim Fedder (t.fedder@rzcn.fh-hamburg.de)

25-13 October 98  Sender:  Khalilova Sajora (sajora@khj.td.silk.org)
                  Subject: Forwarded mail....

26-13 October 98  Sender:  BONDK@webtv.net (KELLIE BONDLEY)
                  Subject: Hi

27-13 October 98  Sender:  Preetham (oops@krec.ernet.in)
                  Subject: Inofmation required for an Project!!

28-13 October 98  Sender:  suziek@prodigy.net
                  Subject: fellow earthlings in Kyrgyzstan

29-13 October 98  Sender:  "Riabovol Natalia" (center@drcomd.donetsk.ua)
                  Subject: Ukraine  Donetsk

30-13 October 98  Sender:  eveabakah@hotmail.com
                  Subject: from Ghana

31-13 October 98  Sender:  plpeters@bigfoot.com
                  Subject: Americans working on international projects in
                           Russia

32-13 October 98  Sender:  "mayega stephen" (mayegas@hotmail.com)
                  Subject: SEEKING FOR INFORMATION

33-13 October 98  Sender:  webmaster@live-cam.com.ar
                  Subject: Here is Your Live Cam

34-13 October 98  Sender:  mamaloe@xs4all.nl
                  Subject: from Amsterdam

Please see the Moscow Life page at:

  http://www.friends-partners.org/partners/asebrant/life/ml.html

Andrey Sebrant's has updated his site with a wonderfully descriptive and
photographically illustrated story about life in Moscow during the second
half of the summer.  You may find it by following the link to the list of
1998 stories and then selecting July items, or jump directly to

  http://www.friends-partners.org/partners/asebrant/life/1998/aug98.html

in order to view how live in Moscow is lived during the "slower" days of
Summer.

Our thanks to Andrey for his many gifts and contributions to F&P and
to better US-Russian understanding.

Sender:  markb@brawleyonline.com

Hello all, I live in southern california and am hosting a 15 year old
exchange student from yaroslavl.  I would like to meet and correspond with
people living there who speak english.  Thanks, Mark

Sender:  pschott57@hotmail.com

This is a great idea.  I'm so much impressed.  I found that site when
getting in contact wit my brother-in-law at university of pristina /YU.
Greetings from Germany, i'll look up again !

Sender:  PMicciche@fsc.edu

I am attempting to arrange for our nursing faculty, involved now in the
fifth year of an exchange program with the Moscow Medical Academy, to take
advantage of your program.  Maybe I should ask your Moscow office to
contact Dr.  Galina Perfilyeva, Dean of Nursing at the Moscow Medical
Academy and I will continue to work on our end....two of our nursing
faculty will visit the Academy next month and one will present at a major
conference in St.  Petersburg....will be in touch and thanks for the
encouragement.

Sender:  Dottie1197@aol.com

I am interested in corresponding with some one from the city of Moscow.  I
am a single mom of a 5 year old daughter.  I live in the USA in the state
of North Carolina.  My daughters father is Russian.  He has never seen his
daughter, and probably never will.  his choice

Sender:  bwandtke@prodigy.net

I am fascinated with your area would like to learn more, a hidden beauty as
I would call it, any corespondance?

Sender:  "Richard Lambert" (richard@theideabank.com)

Privet Friends and Partners....

Looking for a good "behind-the-headlines" video on Russia?

.Try The Idea Bank's new CINE award-winning program,
"Living in Russia Today."  It is reviewed in this month's
Media Center Journal...
http://wings.buffalo.edu/publications/mcjrnl/cgi/review.cgi?review=3D9072=
50599
Richard Lambert
President, The Idea Bank

  THE IDEA BANK AWARD-WINNING TRAINING VIDEOS
 1139 Alameda Padre Serra/Santa Barbara, CA 93103 U.S.A.
 (800) 621-1136   FAX (805) 965-2275   info@theideabank.com
                              http://www.theideabank.com

Sender:  Silke Placzeck (s_placzeck@yahoo.com)

My Russian friend Anna who is a teacher of English at the university
in Izhevsk is currently looking for a postgraduate course abroad. Does
anyone know about scholarships and student awards in the field of EFL
and ESL that she could apply for? Many thanks.

Silke Placzeck

Sender:  "Eddie" (BADY@email.msn.com)

Dear Friends,
My name is Eddie. Presently I live in New York City. I am interested to
obtain some information related to my family's ancestors. The Grandmother
was graduated from The Smolny Institute between 1910 and 1917, the last name
most likely had some similarity with Danilchuk. I will appreciate any help
or helpful information.
For me personally the starting point of the research would be the list of
the students graduated within above mentioned time frame.
In addition I have a few family pictures.
Truly yours Eddie.

Sender:  Nina Lyulkoun (angl@ikc.podol.khmelnitskiy.ua)

Hi!  My name's Kostya, Vinnick Kostya.  I'm seventeen, and I'm a student of
the first course of the technological university in

Khmelnitsky, Ukraine.  My major's finances.I'm fond of playing guitar and
ball dance, like listening to the Henry Rollings Band and watching
Tarantino's and Oliver Stone's movies.  My favorite subject is math, I
don't like any kind of sport besides soccer.  Thanks to everybody who will
pay attention to this.  Hope to get an reply :-)

Sender:  Tom Eudaley (eudaleyt@SLU.EDU)

I hope you could help me, I'm looking for all information i can get on the
city called Kansk it's around the Krasnoyarsk Region.  I am adopting a
child from this city and would like any and all infomation I could get.
You can E-Mail me @ Scheffing @ Juno.Com I have'nt found anything on this
region nor any one i could talk to.

      Please let me know if you can help any way.

                  Thank you, Tom

Sender:  kgrill@aaas.org (KGRILL)
Subject: SCIENTIST: Workshop in Russia:  Basic Research for Investment

                ***2nd RFBR INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP***

             BASIC RESEARCH RESULTS OPEN FOR INVESTMENTS

                        November - December, 1998
                             Moscow, Russia

 The Russian Foundation for Basic Research (RFBR) is honored to
 announce the 2nd International Workshop within the cycle Basic
 Research Results Open for Investments to be held on November -
 December 1998 at the Shemyakin-Ovchinnikov Institute of Bioorganic
 Chemistry RAS, Moscow.

 The Workshop will be focused on the presentation of basic research
 outputs and RFFB project findings promising for their practical
 application in medical, environmental and biotechnological domains to
 potential investors.

 The Workshop program will include the projects having won RFBR
 support and the highest rating at the RFFB contest of initiative
 projects, which may be potentially used in the following principal
 areas:

 - new technologies for producing biologically active substances - new
 approaches to and means for diagnostics, prevention and spreading of
 hazardous human and animal diseases
 - gene therapy

 Each presentation will reflect the urgency, novelty and significance
 of scientific ideas laid in the basis of the project and provide
 economic grounds for the potential implementation of the basic
 research findings.

 *ORGANIZERS AND SPONSORS*

 The Russian Foundation of Basic Research, Russian Federation Ministry
 of Science and Technology, Foundation for the Support to Small
 Ventures in Science & Technology, RAS Physico-Chemical Biology
 Division, Shemyakin-Ovchinnikov Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry
 RAS.

 The 2nd International Workshop will invite representatives of leading
 scientific research centers under the Russian Academy of Sciences,
 universities, the Russian Federation Ministry for Science and
 Technology, sectoral ministries and agencies as well as delegates
 from inside and outside investment funds and companies concerned with
 mastering of novel technologies for advanced medicines and
 diagnostics facilities and their production promotion.

 The material that constitutes the grounds for the Workshop program
 can be requested from the organizers. Upon further discussions with
 the authors of the RFFB projects, we will generate specific proposals
 on the utilization of their results to become essentials of Workshop
 presentations.

 You are highly welcome to send us your proposals and comments on the
 attached material. The submitted contributions will be taken into
 consideration while finalizing the Workshop agenda.

 *PARTICIPATION TERMS*

 To attend the 2nd International Workshop, please, return the
 registration form (below) to the Organizing Committee either by mail:

 Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry RAS ´RFFB Workshopª
 # 16/10 ul. Miklukho-Maklai, GSP-7
 Moscow 117437, Russia

 by e-mail: konferens@ibch.siobc.ras.ru by fax: (095) 330-7410

 The registration fee for a Workshop participant is $200, including
 proceedings, info materials and translation services.  (Not including
 hotel.)

 *METHOD OF PAYMENT*

 The payment should be made to the bank account of the Institute of
 Bioorganic Chemistry RAS with the mark ´RFFB Workshopª:

 Beneficiary:   Shemyakin-Ovchinnikov Institute of Bioorganic
 Chemistry
 Russian Academy of Sciences

 Account # 40703280500000000002

 Beneficiary's bank:    EURASIA CENTRE Bank. Moscow
 109028 Solyanka street 3, Bld. 2, Moscow Russia

 Correspondent:           OST-WEST HANDELSBANK AG
 Stephanstrasse 1, 60313 Frankfurt am Main Germany
 SWIFT: OWHB DE FF

 *GENERAL INFORMATION*

 The Workshop program and informational material for your preliminary
 consideration will be sent to the participants having returned the
 registration form and paid the registration fee prior to the deadline
 of October 15 1998.

 *CONTACT INFORMATION*

 Please, contact the Workshop Secretary for any additional information
 by telephone: (095) 330-7329

 by e-mail: mis@ibch.siobc.ras.ru

 -----------------------------------
 2nd RFBR INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP
 BASIC RESEARCH RESULTS OPEN FOR INVESTMENTS

 November-December 1998
 Moscow, Russia

 Shemyakin & Ovchinnikov Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry RAS

 ADVANCE REGISTRATION FORM

 Name

 Organization

 Department

 Street Address

 City

 Zip/Postal Code

 Country

 Telephone

 Fax

 e-mail

 Method of Payment -                    In Advance         On -site
 registration fee and housing

 Housing request                        Hotel reservation (Yes/No)

 Additional information

 Date of registration

 Signature

Sender:  "Serguei A. Oushakine" (oushakin@ssc.upenn.edu)
Subject: National Secuity Education Fellowship

Visit www.aed.org/nsep for information about National Secuity Education
Program (NSEP) Fellowships.  This is a program that offers funding for up
to 2 years for MA and PhD students interested in regions important to
national security.  Fellows must propose to learn/improve a foreign
language in a strategic region, and to conduct interesting research while
studying the language either at home or abroad.

Deadline for application is January 15, 1999.
Only for US citizens and residents

Serguei A. Oushakine

Sender:  "Serguei A. Oushakine" (oushakin@ssc.upenn.edu)
The message below is from the FRIENDS listserv October 13th Daily Digest.
If you have any questions, please be sure to the website below.  Thanks to
Serguei Oushakine for providing us with this information.

Sender:  "Serguei A. Oushakine" (oushakin@ssc.upenn.edu)

Visit www.aed.org/nsep for information about National Secuity Education
Program (NSEP) Fellowships.  This is a program that offers funding for up
to 2 years for MA and PhD students interested in regions important to
national security.  Fellows must propose to learn/improve a foreign
language in a strategic region, and to conduct interesting research while
studying the language either at home or abroad.

Deadline for application is January 15, 1999.
Only for US citizens and residents

Norwegian Nobel Institute Seeks Fellowship Applicants

The Norwegian Nobel Institute will award a limited number of
fellowships in its guest researcher program for the spring terms of
2000 and 2001. The fellowships are for scholars of any nationality in
history, social sciences, and international law. Both senior
fellowships (for distinguished scholars with a substantial record of
publication in her/his fields) and general fellowships (for scholars
in the earlier stages of their post-doctoral careers) are available.

Stipends will be given in accordance with the individual needs of the
approved applicants and the availability of funds. The Institute will
also cover travel expenses, office equipment, and the purchase of
specific research materials for the Nobel Institute Library. Fellows
must be free to devote full time to study and writing and will be
expected to spend most of the time at the Institute.

In the years 2000 and 2001 the research program of the Norwegian
Nobel Institute will emphasize two topics. They are (1) general
theories about war and peace, and (2) topics related to the history
of the Nobel Peace Prize (which is celebrating its 100th anniversary
in 2001).

Applicants should send a brief project description, a c.v., and two
letters of recommendation before November 15, 1998. For further
information, contact:

                         Grete Haram, Office Manager, or
                         ÿyvind T¯nnesson, Project Consultant
                         The Norwegian Nobel Institute
                         Drammensveien 19
                         N-0255 Oslo, Norway
                         Fax +47 22 43 01 68
                         E-mail: postmaster@nobel.no.

Sender:  Project Harmony (ph@projectharmony.org)
Subject: Job: Director for NIS Offices, Project Harmony (XPOST from
         CIVILSOC)

                    PROJECT HARMONY

               DIRECTOR FOR NIS OFFICES

Project Harmony, a not-for-profit, 501-C-3, cultural, educational and
professional exchange organization with fifteen years of experience
conducting innovative and effective programs in the NIS and USA, is seeking
a director for its Russia staff and offices.  Project Harmony has offices
in Petrozavodsk, St.  Petersburg, Moscow and Irkutsk and employs eleven
Russian and USA national staff in those offices.  The director is
responsible for the hiring and supervision of staff, oversight of office
budgets and finances, coordination of Project Harmony programmatic
initiatives in Russia, weekly communication with Project Harmony directors
about significant issues/concerns internal and external to Project Harmony.
The director also acts as chief liaison with Project Harmony's Russia
partner organizations and funding agencies.  The director is expected to
have direct involvement with Project Harmony's wide range of programmatic
initiatives.

Prerequisites:

- US citizenship

- Russian/English language fluency; oral and written

- Successful field/program experience in Russia

- Expertise in Russia personnel management and training

- Enthusiasm for and experience with collaborative NIS/USA program
efforts

- Demonstrated cross-cultural communication skills

- Willingness to travel extensively

- Proven accounting and computer systems knowledge.  Project Harmony
uses Quicken accounting      and IBM compatible computer systems

- Sense of adventure

- Salary commensurate with experience

Please send resume and cover letter to: Jared M. Cadwell, Project
Harmony, 6 Irasville Common, Waitsfield, Vermont 05673; Fax:
802-496-4548

Email: ph@projectharmony.org

No phone calls please

Resumes need to be in by November 15, 1998

     $$$$$$$$$$$    Grants & Jobs for Eurasia    $$$$$$$$$$$
     $                                                     $
     $ News about grants and jobs related to Eurasia is a  $
     $ regular feature of CivilSoc, a free e-mail list     $
     $ sponsored by Center for Civil Society International.$
     $ Grant and job announcements are also compiled at    $
     $ CCSI's Web site (under "Announcements"):            $
     $                                                     $
     $          www.friends-partners.org/~ccsi/            $
     $                                                     $
     $ © 1998. This message may be copied or reposted if   $
     $   Center for Civil Society International is duly    $
     $   credited.                                         $
     $                                                     $
     $$$$$$$$$$$      ccsi@u.washington.edu      $$$$$$$$$$$

Sender:  Iwish1234@aol.com

I do need help.  As I am and have been trying for 1-2 years to find my
fathers family in Russia.  My father was born in Russia and come to
yugoslavia in or about 1918/1921 Where he married my mother.  And had 5
children I am one of them The ages of us range 60 to 71 We have never met
any of my fathers family.  And now we would like to find them Both of our
parents have passed away.  I do not know where to go and ask for help, My
father was born in Belgorod, Kursk, Krasnaja those ware the names he
mentioned.  My fathers name was Toma (Foma) Gerasimovic Zavgorodni His
mothers name was Pelagija, If you can help or email me where i can go to
get help I would be very Thankful to you.  Thank you.  Nina

Sender:  HHHIGHLNDR@aol.com

HELLO,
WEDNESDAY 10/7/98

I AM PLANNING A TRIP TO IRKUTSK THIS FALL. I WOULD LIKE TO LOCATE DENIS
SYROVATSKY AND ASK HIM OF HIS AVAILABILITY FOR INTERPRETING SERVICES. I
BELIEVE HIS MOTHER'S ADDRESS IS KARL LIEBKNECHT ST., 97-6, TEL. 31-08-40 ?
PLEASE GIVE HIM MY GREETINGS AND BEST WISHES. HE HELPED OUR TOUR GROUP IN
LATE JULY 1996.  THE BEST WAY TO CONTACT ME IS BY E-MAIL:
HHHIGHLNDR@AOL.COM OR TELEPHONE NUMBER AREA CODE 303, 517-7337 VOICE MAIL /
USA OR POSTAL SERVICE ADDRESS: RALPH NEWTON 1310 BIGBEE HIGH RD. WARD, CO
80481 USA YOUR HELP IS APPRECIATED, THANKS, RALPH NEWTON

Sender:  Lesia Chernihivska (lesia@efortress.com)

Hello!

Queries sent out into the cyber-world have turned up this information
about the song "Tiomnaia Noch."  The lyrics to this song from the war
years can be found at this website:

http://kulichki-win.rambler.ru/rusclub/Songs/War/temnaya-noch.koi8

I understand that an album by an ethnic-Russian German singer by the
name of Ivan Rybroff contains this song, although it was made popular by
Vertinsky. "Tiomnaya Noch" was an original song from the film: "Two
Soldiers," sung by Marc Bernes in Russian language (Vocal with
Orchestra) Stinson Records, Manufactured by MID-TOWN Records, Corp., New
York, N.Y. Record # 3173-B

Does anyone know where I could find a copy of this recording?  Please
contact me privately about this.

My thanks to those who have been so much help with this inquiry thus
far.  Your help's greatly appreciated!  (:-))

Lesia Chernihivska
lesia@efortress.com

Sender:  Celine Micheel (micheel@gima.de)

Hello to all of you!!!

My name is CÈline Micheel and I'm 20 years old.
I live in Germany and I'd like to contact lots of people all over the
world.
I have learned school-english only, but I want to improve it every day.
Now I'm working in an office at a company which organizes exhibitions in
Russia and the C.I.S.
My hobbies are reading, writing, chatting & mailing (when I've time) and
laughing (make jokes every day).
Hope that a lot of people will contact me.
Bye bye
CÈline

Mail to: micheel@gima.de