Digest for September 29, 1998

01-29 September 98  Sender:  andreyzh@hotmail.com
                    Subject: from Andrey Zhukov

                    Subject: from Beresneva - Ulomova Nina Vladimirovna

                    Subject: from Ana

                    Subject: from Donald A. Bowman

                    Subject: from ganeo

                    Subject: from ken gibbs

                    Subject: from vandendorpe

                    Subject: from Rebecca Joye Reeves

                    Subject: SCIENTIST: NSF-NATO Fellowship Opportunity

                    Subject: Overseas Job Opportunity

                    Subject: message to post

                    Subject: search for sponsorship

                    Subject: SCIENTIST: Research Fellowship:  Information

                    Subject: Humanitarian aid Orphanage

                    Subject: Lost in America...

                    Subject: INTERNSHIP opportunity at ACTR/ACCELS-Moscow

                    Subject: TRIP TO PRAGUE

                    Subject: Russian Criminal Law

                    Subject: INFO-RUSS: Temporary insuarance for visitors

                    Subject: quiries re educational programs

                    Subject: Request for information

                    Subject: The Malochite Box

                    Subject: Philately

                    Subject: Please.

                    Subject: Kyiv Walking Tours

                    Subject: JOB OPPORTUNITY

                    Subject: First electronic magazine in Kyrgyzstan

                    Subject: stall russia

23-29 September 98  Sender:  Jacob Malkin (malkin-j@internet-zahav.net)
                    Subject: INFO-RUSS: Reentry permit

25-29 September 98  Sender:  JLES4GIRLS@AOL.COM
                    Subject: looking for pen pal

Sender:  andreyzh@hotmail.com

Hello or Privet, everybody!

How are you doing so far?  What is going on in Russia now?  What is your
opinion - how long it would go on?

Because of our crisis, I am afraid that when I go to Moscow I could not
find an appropriate job there.  I got a Master's Degree in International
Development Policy from Duke University.

RESPOND ANYBODY WHO WANTS!

My last news: I am writing from Germany now!  I am participating here in
one public adminisration/policy project that started 2 years ago between
cities of Irkutsk and Pforzheim being financed by European Union (TACIS).

Now it is in its final stage - Evaluation Report, which we will prepare and
translate first into English, and then I will translate into Russian.

Additionally, I am going to visit the headquarters of EU in Brussels to
know what project(s) TACIS has in Lake Baikal region, and how they are
going on.  My official places to visit are also Holland and FRANCE.

I personally also want to go (if I have time and money) to London to
European Bank of Reconstruction and Development, and United Nations Project
Office in Geneva.

Here, as always and everywhere I use only my hotmail account.

Just in case, my phone number in my "apartamentas" is +49 (7231) 391-495

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely Yours,
Andrey Zhukov

Sender:  ulo@uipe-ras.scgis.ru

Moscow State Aviation Institute Students 1954-1955

Former Students of Moscow State Aviation Institute
of Aviation Automatic Machinery // Instrument-Making Department

I am Beresneva Nina Vladimirovna from Tashkent, entering MAI at 1954.
I will very happy to get any answer from my youth's friends:

Aleksandr Kulikov from Sverdlovsk (Ekaterinburg),
entering MAI 1955 at Instrument-Making Department;

Svetlana Evstifeeva from Moscow,
entering MAI 1954 at Instrument-Making Department,
lived in Tushino;

Alla Ignatenko from Rostov-na-Donu,
entering MAI 1954 at Electrical Equipment Department.

I will be very happy to get any answer from any friends with I studied.

Waiting for you,
Nina Beresneva

Sender:  Sirena@is.lt

Hello, My name is Ana.I am Russian living in Lithuania.  I would like to
communikate with somebody from USA. I will go there in 2-3 month.  Can
correspond in English, Russian, Germany, Lithuanian.

Sender:  su2spy@aol.com

Hello and Privet,

I am hoping to meet several people of various age groups in russia from
St.Peteresbur to Vladivostok alonr the trans-siberian railway route.  My
cities of interest are St.Petersburg, Moscow, Yekaterinburg, Novosibirsk,
Irkustsk and Vladivostok.  Basic interest are of travel, economy, and
general life style.  I have been to Novosibirsk 3 times and will return for
the 4th time in november.  I speak only english with a couple russian
words.  I hope to meet more russians on each of my trips.  I will be
spending at least one week each year in russia.  I wish to learn more of
russia from each of mya new e-mail russian friends.

sincerely Don Bowman      dasvedonya paka!

Sender:  ganeo@aol.com

hello all,

My name is Jim and is live in Wisconsin.

I would like to correspond with someone from Russia.  I enjoy politics,
current events, and Russian literature.  Hope to hear from you.

Jim

Sender:  kengibbs@midmo.net

I'm looking for Sergey Toropov.  He came to the USA
back in 1988 on a program we called "Soviets Meet
Middle America".  Others in the group of four were
Youssoup Youssouvaliev, Gennady Strekalon
and Galina Pronina.
  I met all these fine folks when they came to Florida
for a short four or five days.
  I know Sergey was a computer buff and just thought
he might be on the WWW??
  My new address is in Lake of Ozarks in Missouri
kengibbs@midmo.net

Sender:  mamaloe@xs4all.nl

Hello everybody!

My name is Anna Kovtoun.  I am a 24 year old journalist from Moscow.
Currently I live in Amsterdam where I work as a city guide for Russians.  I
would like to meet more Russian people living in Holland/Amsterdam.  Also
I'm looking for another job.  Hope to hear from someone.  Greetings, Anna.

Sender:  rreeves@utk.edu

I am a student at the University of Tennessee and I work at the "Friends
and Partners" webpage office (actualy it is called the Center for
International Networking Initiatives).  I am interested in learning more
about other cultures.  I am considering majoring in Language and World
Business, but need some input.  If anyone has majored in this type of
field, please inform me of what you are doing now and your job search.  I
love to send and recieve e-mail, so if you write, expect a response!!

Sender:  kgrill@aaas.org (KGRILL)

    ***Special Fellowship Opportunities for Visiting Scientists***
                     from NATO Partner Countries

 Scientists from NATO Partner Countries (Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan,
 Belarus, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Estonia, Georgia, Hungary,
 Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Poland,
 Romania, Russian Federation, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Tajikistan,
 the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and
 Uzbekistan) wishing to conduct research at U. S. institutions may
 apply for Special Fellowship Opportunities through a host U. S.
 institution.

 The primary goal of these fellowships is to promote the progress of
 science and closer collaboration between scientists, mathematicians,
 and engineers of NATO Partner Countries and scientists and engineers
 in the United States.

 NSF-NATO Visiting Scientist Fellowships are administered by the
 National Science Foundation, an agency of the United States
 Government, at the request of the U. S. Department of State.
 Applications to support a Visiting Scientist from NATO Partner
 Countries may be subject to security review by the United States
 Committee on Exchanges (COMEX) according to government policy. This
 review may be necessary before the State Department will issue a
 visa. The U. S. host scientific advisor is responsible for obtaining
 research permits and import/export documents, where applicable.
 Approximately 20 awards will be offered for research in the United
 States.

 Visiting Scientists must be working in their home country or in
 another NATO Partner Country at the time of application.

 *ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA*

 The following criteria will determine overall eligibility for
 consideration in the NSF-NATO Visiting Scientist Fellowships
 competition:

 1) Applicant (Visiting Scientist) Eligibility

 Citizens from NATO Partner Countries are eligible to be sponsored for
 an NSF-NATO Visiting Scientist Fellowship. In addition, eligible
 applicants must have been awarded a doctoral degree (Ph.D. or
 equivalent) on or after October 1, 1994 but normally not later than
 October 1, 1999.

 Former recipients of NSF-NATO Visiting Scientist Fellowships are not
 eligible for the program.

 2) Host Site Eligibility

 A Visiting Scientist must identify a specific U. S. scientific
 advisor holding a full-time position at a U. S. institution to serve
 as his/her sponsor. The U.S. scientific advisor will be the Principal
 Investigator (PI) on the fellowship application. The PI will be
 responsible for assuring the completeness of the application
 material. Visiting Scientists may conduct research at U. S.
 universities, scientific research laboratories, or government
 laboratories.

 3) Tenure Limitations

 A Fellow will have a full-time tenure of 12 months. The fellowship
 must begin on or after June 1, 1999 but normally not later than
 October 1, 1999. If unforeseen circumstances delay completion of the
 doctoral degree requirement or the expected start of tenure, a
 request for a delay of the start date will be considered. An awardee
 who declines a fellowship because he/she is unable to begin tenure by
 the specified time period, may re-apply to the program as long as
 he/she remains eligible. This declination will not prejudice any
 subsequent application.

 *STIPENDS AND ALLOWANCES*

 Fellowships for Visiting Scientists are made to U. S. institutions
 and not to individuals. The host institution will be responsible for
 the disbursement of all funds associated with a fellowship award. The
 stipend is $2,750 per month for 12 months for the Fellow. Fellows are
 also provided with dependency allowances of $200 per month for a
 dependent spouse and for each of not more than two dependent children
 for 12 months. The level of funding of NSF-NATO stipends for Fellows
 will be determined based on the Fellow's status at the time of
 application. Fellows are entitled to the full stipend and special
 research allowance provided by the fellowship. OVERHEAD EXPENSES TO
 INSTITUTIONS ARE NOT PROVIDED AS PART OF THE FELLOWSHIP.

 A travel allowance will normally be offered to aid in defraying
 travel costs from the Visiting Scientist's place of residence in the
 Partner Country, at the time of application, to the U.S. host
 institution to begin tenure and later to return. The total round trip
 travel allowance will be as follows: $3,000 for the Fellow; $3,000
 for an accompanying spouse; and $1,200 each for up to two
 accompanying dependent children.

 The Visiting Scientist is also provided with a special allowance of
 $1,200 ($100 for each month of tenure) to aid in defraying costs of
 research and special travel such as short visits to other
 laboratories or scientific meetings. This is to be expendable at the
 Fellow's discretion in accordance with host institution's
 disbursement policies.

 *REVIEW AND SELECTION*

 The NSF-NATO Visiting Scientist Initiative is a multidisciplinary
 activity managed by the NSF Directorate for Education and Human
 Resources. An acknowledgment card will be sent to the scientific
 advisor (PI) in the U. S. when the Foundation has recorded receipt of
 the application in its electronic system of records.

 The review criteria for the application include:

 - Visiting Scientist's Professional Competence in science and
 engineering, including achievements to date, particularly as attested
 by academic records and the Sponsor Statement.

 - Visiting Scientist's Potential for Continued Professional Growth,
 as demonstrated in the proposed plan of research from the standpoint
 of its appropriateness to the background and professional goals of
 the Visiting Scientist and its feasibility within the time
 constraints imposed
 by tenure.

 -Visiting Scientist's Potential for Furthering International
 Collaboration in Science, including the factors that influenced the
 applicant's selection of host institution and scientific
 advisor/mentor and the likelihood that the proposed plan of research
 might result in the establishment of a professional, working
 relationship between the host scientist and the Visiting Scientist.

 Consideration will be given to the English language proficiency of
 the Visiting Scientist.

 The U. S. host institution must demonstrate that adequate
 accommodations and resources will be made available to the visiting
 scientist.

 Selection of Visiting Scientist awardees will be made by the National
 Science Foundation. Principal Investigators at host institutions as
 well as all applicants will be notified by letter in March 1999 of
 the disposition of their fellowships. Applicants will receive
 verbatim copies of reviewers' comments without the name and
 affiliation of the reviewer.

 The selection of awardees will be primarily based on the Visiting
 Scientist's ability and potential for professional growth.
 Applications will be reviewed by multidisciplinary panels of
 scientists and engineers and may include consideration of factors
 related to science and engineering infrastructure, such as
 disciplinary, institutional and geographical distribution.

 *APPLICATION PROCEDURES*

 The NSF-NATO Visiting Scientist application consists of five COMPLETE
 SETS of the application materials (signed original plus four copies)
 and one copy of Supplementary Nominee Information (NSF Form 1225A -
 which MUST be returned), completed by the scientific advisor for the
 Visiting Scientist. The host institution is responsible for assuring
 the completeness of application materials. However, it is the
 Visiting Scientist's responsibility to provide all the appropriate
 sections to be included in the application. Please staple each
 complete application set separately. Type all forms. Type styles
 should be no smaller than 10 point font size. Margins may not be
 smaller than 2.5 cm except where margins are established on forms.
 Failure to comply with application procedures may make an application
 administratively ineligible, eliminating it from merit review.

 Application forms may be found on their website at:
 http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/1998/nsf98149/nsf98149.htm#special

 *SUBMISSION OF ELECTRONIC APPLICATIONS*

 With Internet access and a supported World Wide Web browser,
 applications may be submitted electronically using the NSF FastLane
 Postdoctoral Research Fellowship process.

 Referees of applicants who use FastLane can submit a Reference Report
 Form using FastLane. Security is provided to ensure that both
 applications and references can be seen only by authorized persons.
 The Visiting Scientist must begin the application and give the
 scientific advisor the access PIN. The scientific advisor accesses
 the Sponsoring Scientist Statement using the access PIN. Both the
 Visiting Scientist and the scientific advisor have access to all the
 application forms. However, as is the case of hard copy submissions,
 the scientific advisor submits the application on behalf of the
  Visiting Scientist. The  Visiting Scientist component of the NSF
 Postdoctoral Research Fellowship process is on the NSF FastLane Home
 Page, which is located at the following URL:
 http://www.fastlane.nsf.gov/

 To access the NSF FastLane Postdoctoral Research Fellowship Programs
 process and instructions on its use, click on the appropriate icon on
 the FastLane Home Page. Additional questions may be directed to Ms.
 Beverly Sherman at (703) 306-1145, ext. 4615 (email:felapp@nsf.gov).

 A COMPLETE application must be submitted via FastLane or in hard copy
 by the published deadline. Electronic and hard copies of applications
 cannot be combined for submission.

 Notice: You can submit your application electronically in its
 entirety ONLY IF you, your scientific advisor, and your referees have
 the appropriate software (e.g. Adobe Acrobat 3.0 or Ghostscript 5.10)
 to create PDF files. Otherwise, you must submit your application in
 hard copy. Application forms for hard copy submission may be obtained
 from the printed Guidelines (NSF 98-149), by printing them off the
 World Wide Web, or as a byproduct of FastLane. In the latter case,
 application forms can be filled out using FastLane procedures, and
 then printed for hard copy submission. Faxed submissions are not
 acceptable.

 *APPLICATION SETS*

 Each set of NSF-NATO Visiting Scientist application materials should
 be submitted in stapled sets corresponding to the numeric order
 listed below:

 1. Cover Sheet for Proposal to the National Science Foundation (NSF
 Form 1207 (7/95))

 This form must be completed by the scientific advisor at the U. S.
 institution that is submitting the application on behalf of the
 Visiting Scientist with FULLY signed certifications. In the first box
 on the upper left-hand corner of the cover page entitled For
 Consideration by NSF Organization Unit(s), type "DGE/EHR/NSF-NATO
 POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP."

 2. NSF-NATO Postdoctoral Fellow Cover Sheet (NSF Form 294 (10/95),
 2-sided form provided)

 In addition to the NSF Form 1207, the NSF Form 294 (10/95) MUST BE
 COMPLETED. The first side of the NSF-NATO Cover Sheet must be
 completed in accordance with the instructions on the reverse side of
 the form. NOTE: Current address is the address where the Visiting
 Scientist resides in the NATO Partner Country; Permanent U. S.
 address should be the host university address.

 3. Abstract of Doctoral Dissertation (Limit: 1 Page)

 The host institution's name, the Visiting Scientist's name and the
 heading "Abstract of Doctoral Dissertation" should appear at the top
 of this page followed by a brief description of the doctoral
 dissertation.

 4. Abstract of Proposed Plan of Research (Limit: 150 words)

 The host institution's name, the Visiting Scientist's name, title of
 research, and the heading "Abstract of Proposed Plan of Research "
 should appear at the top of this page followed by a brief description
 of not more than 150 words.

 5. Proposed Plan of Research (Limit: 2 Pages)

 The host institution's name, the Visiting Scientist's name, title of
 research, and the heading "Proposed Plan of Research" should appear
 at the top of each page. The plan should be a relatively
 non-technical statement understandable by non-specialist experts.
 This statement should BRIEFLY include the Visiting Scientist's 1)
 educational objectives and 2) long-range professional goals. The plan
 should describe in detail the activities expected to be undertaken
 during tenure by the Visiting Scientist and the appropriateness of
 the institution selected. Finally, indicate what plans have been made
 to date for the projected tenure period (e.g. comments on previous
 contacts with host advisor/institution.)

 6. Curriculum Vitae (Limit: 3 Pages)

 The host institution's name, the Visiting Scientist's name and the
 heading "Curriculum Vitae" should appear at the top of each page.
 This curriculum vitae MUST include (but is not limited to) the
 following sections in the following order:

 a. Education. This section should list the applicant's educational
 background beginning with undergraduate and including postdoctoral
 training under the following columns:  Institution and Location;
 Degree; Year Conferred; Field of Study.

 b. Academic Honors. This section should include fellowships,
 scholarships, teaching assistantships, mentoring activities, and
 other relevant positions held or awards received with dates and
 locations in reverse chronological order.

 c. Foreign Languages. This section should indicate the proficiency of
 the Visiting Scientist in English.

 d. Employment and Experience. This section should begin with the
 Visiting Scientist's current position. Relevant professional history
 should be provided in reverse chronological order.

 e. Research Accomplishments. This section should list any research
 previously pursued, giving the title and reference of any published
 works. List the titles of any unpublished work in process. The PI
 will determine the appropriateness of all journal publications. Other
 accomplishments may include, but are not limited to, patent and
 software credits, papers presented at seminars, workshops, national
 or international meetings, etc.

 f. Other Accomplishments. This section is optional and may include
 relevant information about the Visiting Scientist that the PI wishes
 to provide to the reviewers.

 7. Certification of Completion of the Ph.D. Degree (NSF Form 1405
 (8-97) provided)

 Provide proof of Ph.D. completion by submitting an OFFICIAL, SIGNED
 Certification of Completion of the Ph.D. degree with four copies. The
 signed certification should be attached to the ORIGINAL Application.
 If the applicant has not received the Ph.D. by the deadline date, the
 signed certification is to be submitted as soon as completion has
 occurred.

 8. Sponsor Statement from U. S. Host Institution

 A statement of support from the U. S. host scientific advisor (PI) is
 required. Verification of resources being made available to the
 Visiting Scientist (e.g., housing, supplementary travel, equipment,
 and facilities to be provided by the host institution) should be
 included in this statement. The scientific advisor should also
 indicate why the Visiting Scientist would benefit from such a
 research opportunity and what contribution this scientist would make.
 Any host institution financial commitment of support to the Visiting
 Scientist should also be described.

 The sponsor statement should be prepared in lieu of references, but
 should address the same issues that reference writers would. The
 scientific advisor should seek input from whatever sources it deems
 appropriate, and may attach to this statement any external references
 it chooses.

 *REFERENCE LETTERS*

 If references are included, referees should comment on the Visiting
 Scientist's ability to carry out a research project, his/her
 creativity, originality, ability to work with others in a laboratory
 setting, adaptability to new environments, self reliance and
 independence. Up to four references may be included if the scientific
 advisor wishes to add to the information with the Sponsor Statement
 from the U.S. host institution.

 *DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS*

 All application submissions must be postmarked or sent electronically
 by November 16, 1998. All sets of materials, forms and reference
 letters should be submitted as a single unit in a large envelope and
 addressed:

 NSF-NATO Postdoctoral Fellowships
 National Science Foundation
 4201 Wilson Blvd., Suite 907N
 Arlington, VA 22230

 *INQUIRIES*

 General inquiries regarding this activity, excluding requests for
 copies of this or other NSF publications, may be addressed to

 NSF-NATO Postdoctoral Fellowships
 Suite 907N
 4201Wilson Blvd.
 Arlington, VA 22230.

 The telephone number is (703) 306-1696 and the fax number is (703)
 306-0468.

 The NSF-NATO Home Page URL address is
 http://www.ehr.nsf.gov/EHR/DGE/nato.htm.

 Requests for information via email may be addressed to
 nsf-nato@nsf.gov

 Copies of this or any other NSF publication, may be obtained from the
 NSF Publications Clearinghouse. The NSF-NATO announcement number is:
 NSF 98-149. For descriptions and telephone numbers for NSF activities
 request a copy of the annual Guide to Programs (NSF 97-150) from the,
 NSF Publications Clearinghouse, P.O. Box 218, Jessup, MD
 20794-0218, telephone number (301) 947-2722.

Sender:  IREX Human Resources (hr@irex.org)

INTERNATIONAL

Educational Advising Consultants

The International Research & Exchanges Board (IREX), a leading nonprofit
organization in international education and training, seeks educational
advising consultants interested in assignments in the New Independent States,
Russia, and Central and Eastern Europe.

Qualified applicants must have experience in American higher education and
international education fields (e.g. university admissions or administration,
TESOL, international programs).  Candidates must be well organized,
professional, skilled at handling multiple tasks, and possess excellent
intercultural and interpersonal skills. Ability to travel, international
experience and local language ability are required. Send resume and salary
history to:

IREX, HR/ADV1
1616 H Street, NW
Washington, DC 20006