Digest for September 04, 1998

01-04 September 98  Sender:  ylva99@hotmail.com
                    Subject: from Ylva

02-04 September 98  Sender:  Daryhenry@hotmail.com
                    Subject: from Daryl Henry

03-04 September 98  Sender:  jerrykernahan@msn.com
                    Subject: from jerrykernahan

RECENT EMAIL . . .

01-04 September 98  Sender:  amhvid@irex.org
                    Subject: IREX AWARDED NATO GRANT

02-04 September 98  Sender:  amhvid@irex.org
                    Subject: CAREER FORUM &  JOB FAIR IN MOSCOW

03-04 September 98  Sender:  "Dmitry V. Amosov" (adv_ksv@nevsky.net)
                    Subject: From Elena V. Amosova

04-04 September 98  Sender:  "Dmitry V. Amosov" (adv_ksv@nevsky.net)
                    Subject: from Dmitry V. Amosov

05-04 September 98  Sender:  "Virginia Simmons" (vsimmons@access.k12.wv.us)
                    Subject: Support for Friends in Russia

06-04 September 98  Sender:  Alby97@aol.com
                    Subject: (no subject)

07-04 September 98  Sender:  "Eddie" (BADY@email.msn.com)
                    Subject: Relatives

08-04 September 98  Sender:  "Waterwalls Waterwalls"
(waterwalls@mailexcite.com)
                    Subject: Russian band in NYC

09-04 September 98  Sender:  Azimov Sobir (sobiraz@khj.td.silk.org)
                    Subject: hello

10-04 September 98  Sender:  Benno Eidus (eidus_b@popmail.firn.edu)
                    Subject: Russians in Salt Lake City

11-04 September 98  Sender:  DanAugust1@aol.com
                    Subject: PENFRIENDS

12-04 September 98  Sender:  hmmr@ida.net (Heather M. Redding)
                    Subject: Side-by-side English-Russian bible?

13-04 September 98  Sender:  Isroilova Shoira (richel@khj.td.silk.org)
                    Subject: from khujand

14-04 September 98  Sender:  "NANCY POPSON" (POPSONNA@WWIC.SI.EDU)
                    Subject: Announcement of Kennan Institute Workshop on
Rural Russia

15-04 September 98  Sender:  YANKI PURSUN (puersuen@stud.uni-frankfurt.de)
                    Subject: Travel Hints TMG

16-04 September 98  Sender:  Banshee241@aol.com
                    Subject: Re: Digest for 98-08-27

17-04 September 98  Sender:  Ibragimova Malika (imalika@khj.td.silk.org)
                    Subject: i find friends

18-04 September 98  Sender:  michael stone (miketaddy@mindspring.com)
                    Subject: russian opinions

19-04 September 98  Sender:

20-04 September 98  Sender:  dewangga (dewangga@tm.net.my)
                    Subject: study english

21-04 September 98  Sender:  "Russian-American Chamber  of
Comm.(Washington, DC)"
                             (rusric@erols.com)
                    Subject: Re: COOPERATION

22-04 September 98  Sender:  "Stephen Pace" (stpace@ibm.net)
                    Subject: Invitro Diagnostic Market

23-04 September 98  Sender:  mozak@lycosmail.com
                    Subject: SOFTWARE FOR YOU (RUSSIA AND ANOTHER COUNTRIES)

24-04 September 98  Sender:  "Russian-American Chamber  of
Comm.(Washington, DC)"
                             (rusric@erols.com)
                    Subject: Re:USEFUL INFORMATION REGARDING INT'L CALLS

Sender:  ylva99@hotmail.com

I've just caom back from St.  Petersburg, where I have been working this
summer.  I had such a great time.  I love the city.  Have you ever walked
from Ligovski to Fontanka only through the yards, without putting your foot
on Nevsky?  Try it.  Do you know how it feels to sit on a roof in the
middle of the night and watch the open bridges?  Amazing.

I really miss the city. It was my home for one year. Write to me.

Sender:  Daryhenry@hotmail.com

Privet!  I'm a "30 something" american male from North Dakota and I'm ready
to learn something NEW about the world, write me and lets learn together.

Sender:  jerrykernahan@msn.com

great sight!

I worry about the folks in Russia as the currency situation there is
getting worse.  I would like to here how folks are getting on.

Jerry kernahan
OKC/OK/usa

Sender:  amhvid@irex.org

IREX AWARDED NATO GRANT TO STRENGTHEN INTERNET IN RUSSIA

WASHINGTON, DC - The International Research & Exchanges Board (IREX) has
received a NATO Infrastructure Grant to establish the first non-commercial
Internet exchange in St.  Petersburg, Russia.  The purpose of the Open
Internet Exchange, as it will be known, is to create a high-speed (256
kilobits per second) Internet ring between eight institutions, including
universities and libraries, in the St.  Petersburg region.  For the first
time, those Internet users will be able to exchange electronic traffic
among themselves without having to depend on Internet nodes outside the
city.  This will decrease the load on the Internet traffic leaving the city
from those eight institutes.

The first eight cooperating partners include St.  Petersburg State
University, the Institute for Aviation Technology and Instrumentation, and
the St.  Petersburg branch of the Soros Foundation Internet Project.
Cooperating partners will receive grants of supporting equipment, leased
line installation, and monthly rent for 12 months of connection to the
Internet Exchange.  After the end of the grant period, those users will
themselves begin to pay to the cost of the leased line within the city, and
additional partners will be added to the Open Internet Exchange as it
develops in the future.

IREX is a Washington-based international non-profit organization that
manages exchange and professional training programs in Central and Eastern
Europe and Eurasia.  Since 1993 it has been active in establishing
non-commercial Internet access throughout the former Soviet region, and has
helped provide E-mail services to over 100 organizations in St.  Petersburg
alone, including the eight institutions selected to become founding members
of the Open Internet Exchange.  IREX was named co-director of the project,
along with a consortium in St.  Petersburg, LOTOS, which has been working
to develop a non-commercial Internet structure in St.  Petersburg since
1996.  IREX's role will be to ensure the all Exchange partners participate
on an equal basis in the project, while LOTOS will provide the technical
support for the project.

The goal of the NATO Infrastructure Grant program is to set up the links
and networking capabilities in NATO Partner countries required to
facilitateinternational collaboration in research.

Sender:  amhvid@irex.org

CAREER FORUM & JOB FAIR IN MOSCOW

The International Research & Exchanges Board (IREX) will administer the
third annual Edmund S. Muskie & Freedom Support Act (Muskie/FSA) Graduate
Fellowship Programs' Career Forum & Job Fair in Moscow on September 19,
1998.  This event, sponsored by the United States Information Agency
(USIA), is open to graduates of university level US government sponsored
programs and independent graduates of US universities currently residing
in/fellows returning to the Russian Federation.  Russian and Western
companies and organizations with offices in the Russian Federation are
invited to exhibit by registering for a booth at the Fair.

The Career Forum & Job Fair is designed to promote networking among alumni
and newly returned fellows and to provide newly returned fellows and alumni
with information about the Russian job market and the types of
organizations and industries that hire alumni.  Participating
representatives of Russian and Western companies and organizations will
have an opportunity to provide information about their companies and to
solicit resumes from alumni.

In order to participate in the Career Forum & Job Fair, prospective
participants (alumni and companies) must pre-register.

For further information refer to the following website or contact the
IREX/Moscow office directly at career@irex.ru.

**Registration forms, resumes, and financial assistance applications can
now be submitted electronically at http://www.irex.ru/acad/forum.htm.  or
to the following address/fax/e-mail: Muskie/FSA Career Forum Fax at (095)
203-5966 c/o Olga Levadnaya, IREX/Moscow E-mail <career@irex.ru> Ul.
Volkhonka 14, Bldg.  5, 5th floor Moscow, Russia 119842

Sender:  "Dmitry V. Amosov" (adv_ksv@nevsky.net)

Hello, all !

My name is Elena V. Amosova. I'm from Russia from city St.-Petersburg.

My age 15 years old. I'm a professional musician (piano).

About my hobbies:
writing music on piano,
computer's games,
reading books (fantastics, literature of my professional job, historical
novels and etc).

I very much would like to find the friends on correspondence.

Wait letters!
Good luck for all.
----------------------
Elena V. Amosova

Sender:  "Dmitry V. Amosov" (adv_ksv@nevsky.net)

Hello, all !

My name is Dmitry V. Amosov

About me: I'm from Russia from St.-Petersburg.  I'm 21 years old.  I'm
programmer and it's my professional job.  My another job connect with
forwards contracts on St.-Petersburg's Stock

Exchange.  And both these works are connected among themselves.  About my
hobbies: programming and all connected with it, creating music on computer,
computers games, and more etc.  But we can find more other subjects for our
talking.  For example: economics problems, cultures our's nations, and etc.

--------------
Dmitry V. Amosov

Sender:  "Virginia Simmons" (vsimmons@access.k12.wv.us)

On Tuesday Morning, September 1, I was listening to ABC broadcasting on our
President's trip to Russia.  Frankly, I felt up to that point, the media
had been very negative and narrow focused on their reports from Russia.
Since I had just returned, I knew that most of the grumblings about "civil
war" "government overthrow", etc.  were actually created by our media.
During the early morning (our time) interview with Senator Dominici from
New Mexico, I was relieved to hear a sane voice.  The Senator actually had
to be firm with our media when he was explaining the conflicts that often
occur in a democracy.  He also stated that this was a time for confusion
but not civil war.  Thank you Senator and I hope your constituents in New
Mexico thank you.  Your statements of reason are what is needed.  The
American people who have not enjoyed contacts with Russia can still be
duped by our media and regretfully our government.  We can't let this
happen again.  Virginia Simmons, President Russia & WV Foundation

Sender:  Alby97@aol.com

Dear Friends,
        My name is Alyssa Brown and I'm from Fort Collins, Colorado USA. I am a
member of  the Rocky Mountain Debate Team and am interested in information
concerning current Russian politics and Russian foreign affairs (especially
concerning the United States). If you have any information or know a good
place to find some, will you please e-mail me at: Alby97@aol.com. Your
assistance is greatly appriciated.
                                                        Sincerely,
                                                                Alyssa
Brown  ( President of RMHS Debate)

Sender:  "Eddie" (BADY@email.msn.com)

Hi,
My name is Ed, I am living in New York City.
I am looking for to find some information related to my wife's ancestors
Her Grandmother was graduated from The Smolny Institute between 1910 and
1917,  the last name most likely had some similarity with Gnatiuk. I will
appreciate any help or helpful information.
Also I would like to obtain the list of students graduated within above
mentioned time frame.
Truly yours
Ed.

Sender:  "Waterwalls Waterwalls" (waterwalls@mailexcite.com)

Hi,
my name is Igor and I'm with WATERWALLS,
a russian NYC based band that that's going to
be performing in New York City  on September 11th.
our web-site
http://www.waterwalls.cjb.net
Please read news for additional info.
We also have some audio files

http://www.mailexcite.com

Sender:  Azimov Sobir (sobiraz@khj.td.silk.org)

I am Sabir from Tadjikistan.I wanna be happy to introduce with you.I am a
student and.Can you give me many information about you a
country and culture. I will be happy known that. Thanks.
Have a good day.

Sender:  Benno Eidus (eidus_b@popmail.firn.edu)

I am looking for Russians in Salt Lake City, Utah. Please write me
benno@hello.to

Thanks, Benno Eidus

Sender:  DanAugust1@aol.com

My name is Dan, I live near Chicago, am 43 years old, married, and enjoy
music, history and travel---if anyone know a good way of obtaining Russian
penfriends, please let me know at DANAUGUST1@AOL.COM---I have only one in
Irketusk, and would enjoy having more contact with English speaking Russian
people. thank you.

Sender:  hmmr@ida.net (Heather M. Redding)

Where does one buy a bible with English and Russian text printed
side-by-side?  I have heard that these are given out in Russia by various
Western missionaries, but have not yet located the publisher or other
source here in the US or Canada. TIA!

Sender:  Isroilova Shoira (richel@khj.td.silk.org)

Hello . I am from khujand and my name is Isroiloua shoirakhon Said-Usmanouna.
I am 18 year old .I study at the faculty of foreign language and I am also
the second course.I like to be friends with English-speakinglanguages in the
world.It is my dream with childhood.If you want to be friends with me let
write each other.I want to say you that I found your address from KADA.
 I wait your letter.Good -luck.

Sender:  "NANCY POPSON" (POPSONNA@WWIC.SI.EDU)
Subject: Announcement of Kennan Institute Workshop on Rural Russia

Please post the following announcement for your readers.  Please note that
the Kennan Institute has funds to support participation in this workshop by
American citizens or U.S. residents.  Funding for other citizens is very
limited.

Thank you.

-----------------------

Research Opportunities

The Kennan Institute for Advanced Russian Studies is pleased to announce
the second research workshop in its series on rural Russia, "Rural Russia:
New Directions in Research."  The workshop will be organized by Professor
David J. O'Brien of the Rural Sociology Department at the University of
Missouri-Columbia and Blair A. Ruble of the Kennan Institute.  It will be
held in the early spring of 1999 in Washington, D.C..

This workshop follows on a pilot workshop that took place in Columbia,
Missouri in the spring of 1998, which focused on the role of social capital
in rural Russian development.  The Washington, D.C. workshop will be
broader in scope, and U.S. scholars at any level and from any discipline
with substantive research interests in rural Russian development may apply.

Participants in the workshop will be expected to present their current
research pertaining to rural Russia and actively engage in discussion of
themes related to rural development.  Junior scholars are especially
encouraged to apply.  Per diem costs and some travel support will be
provided by the Kennan Institute.  Those interested should submit an
abstract of their current research, a current resume, and two letters of
recommendation to: Rural Russia Workshop, The Kennan Institute for Advanced
Russian Studies, The Woodrow Wilson Center, One Woodrow Wilson Plaza, 1330
Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington DC 20523.  Deadline for receipt of
applications is November 1, 1998.

Please contact Nancy Popson at 202-691-4100 or at popsonna@wwic.si.edu with
any further questions.

=====================================
Kennan Institute for Advanced Russian Studies
One Woodrow Wilson Plaza
1300 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20523
202-691-4100
(202) 691-4100
(202) 691-4247 -- fax

Sender:  YANKI PURSUN (puersuen@stud.uni-frankfurt.de)

Hi!

I added some travel hints (for those traveling on russian made air planes)
to my web site @ http://www.rz.uni-frankfurt.de/~puersuen/twa.htm#hint

and would appreciate comments, suggestions and to read your own experience.

Best regards
Yanki Pursun

Sender:  Banshee241@aol.com

hello i am 27 i am looking for penpals for friendship or more in russia
my name is henry ..my email adress is banshee241@aol.com
so if anyone wants to write and chat feel free.:)

Sender:  Ibragimova Malika (imalika@khj.td.silk.org)

Dear friend!
My name is Malika. I want to correspond with the family or a man to make
my English better and to associate with the people to enlarge my scope.I
would like to know all about you, your people, your way of life.
And now some words about myself.  Last year I had finished the Faculty of
Foreign Languages. I am marriaged and I have a child. She is little yet
and goes to the kindergarten. At that moment I work at school. Besides it
I work with the little children in the kindergarten and at home. I like
my work very much and of course I like the children. I get a great
pleasure from the intercourse with them.
 I hope that you'll respond to my letter.