Digest for July, 1998

Digest for July 10, 1998

01-10 July 98  Sender:  citykids@planetc.com
               Subject: from Jeanne M. Daniels

               Subject: from Alexey N. Sizov

               Subject: from Phillip Gann

               Subject: from Renata

               Subject: Hello Friends & Partners

               Subject: Trans Siberian Railway

               Subject: Amateur archaeology in Zaraysk, Russia

               Subject: Tomsk, Siberia

               Subject: Concerning search of  TV-contacts

               Subject: MAIL Pen pals

               Subject: SCIENTIST: AAAS International Scientific

               Subject: Finding a Family

               Subject: Essays in Russian & English by Dr. Pyotr

               Subject: Letter from Moldova

               Subject: George Kuznetsov

               Subject: stories about "Little People"

               Subject: russian education

               Subject: CEE/NIS Education Development Consultant Database

               Subject: from Turkey

               Subject: From Tadjikistan!

               Subject: Sources of Funds for CEE/NIS SME Projects

               Subject: Tinda

19-10 July 98  Sender:  "Marek D. Rzonca" (marek@wxscape.com)
               Subject: Information

20-10 July 98  Sender:  "Tidwell Family" (tidwell@crosswind.net)
               Subject: Just wondering

21-10 July 98  Sender:  "Bruce Etling" (betling@irex.org)
               Subject: SPAN Round III RFP: Part Two

Sender:  citykids@planetc.com

I am 51 years old.  In school when I was growing up we had Air Raid Drills
so we could be prepared for when Russia bombed the United States.  Somehow
I always believed that the good of the human spirit would survive and
prevail, and that someday we would all be friends.  I was very gratified to
find this site.  I am so pleased that technology has made a link of hearts
and souls possible.  I regret that not everyone can financially afford to
see and use this link to the future of the world!  Thank you for making it
possible to have a site like this so people can communicate, one-on-one,
and grow to understand each other by sharing their differences and their
sameness as part of the world family.  Jeanne M.  Daniels, Del Rio,
Tennessee, U.S.A.

Sender:  ice@ibp.serpukhov.su

I am a master student of Pushchino state university.  I want to get
acquainted with students studying biology and electronics for the further
scientific work.  I not much like to communicate on ‰-mail.  I shall wait
the answer on ICQ.  My number- 15002611.

Sender:  klesko1@aol.com

I was taught all my life to hate Russian and Communist.  I serve during the
Vietnam War.  I lost a lot of good friends.  I hated these people.  I could
have killed everyone of them.  When you kill a person, You just don't kill
that person.  You have destroyed a mother, father, husband, sister,
brother, hopes and dreams for the future.  A life is an awful thing to
waste.  As I have grown older and a little wiser, Russian or Communist are
just people with different Ideas.  They love, laugh, play, live and die
just like us.  We all live on a small planet.  I hope the future holds good
things for every country in the world.  Hating people is not the answer,
Loving people and understanding the other fellow is the answer.  Thank you

Sender:  renata__20@hotmail.com

Hi,everybody!My name is Renata.I'm a student of Assumption University in
Thailand.I'm just a freshman.So,at first I want to say,that it is a
wonderful web site,it is what I was looking for a long time.THANK YOU VERY
MUCH!Actually,I'm not Thai,I'm from Uzbekistan and I can speak Russian very
well.Now I'm looking for friends and if you have a free time please write
me.Ish'yu druzey povsyudu.Pishite.Chut' ne zabila,mne 17.Nu vi navernoe uge
sami dogadalis'.POKA!I'm waiting for reply!See you!

Sender:  robert.white@dataquest.com (Robert White)

Dear Friends & Partners,

My name is Bob White.

I was an associate of F&P until about a year ago, when changed companies
and I became very involved with the work of my current job.  Since then, I
simply have not had time correspond with other F&P associates.

Now I'd really like to became involved with Friends and Partners once more.
WIth my new position, I believe I can bring some added experience and
knowledge to assist other, particularly in Russia and the FSU.  My previous
experience with F&P primarily concerned telecomminications, since I was the
business development manager of an international ISDN company.

In my current position, I'm the Multimedia Research Analyst at Dataquest,
an international high-tech market research firm in Silicon Valley.  I
continue to be very interested in the economic and financial conditions in
Russia and the FSU, particularly as they relate to technology.

I know Friends & Partners is certainly one of the bestsources of
communications between the US and Russia, the Ukraine, etc.

Perhaps we might engage in information sharing and comminication.  That is
the reason I want to be part of Friends and Partners.  I would like to
assist and advise others on the worldwide high-tech, multimedia and
telecommunications market.  I also have a background in broadcasting, both
radio and television where I worked for eleven years.

I would not be able to publically comment on any of the companies I cover
specifically at Dataquest.  Although I may be able to answer questions and
provide comments that would be of assistance to the companies and business
people in Russia and the FSU.

Dialog and communications are absolutely necessary to the future of the
world, not to mention the future of international business.  I'm just
trying to be part of that diaolog and commmincation.

I hope to hear from you and your collegues in Russian and the FSU.

Incidentally,if time permits, in early autumn, I will be travelling to
Russia and the Ukraine.  It would be great to speak in person with some of
the high-tech and business people in those areas.

Best Regards,

Bob White

Sender:  "Angie Theis" (angie@itis.com)

Hi!  I am trying to plan a trip on the Trans Siberian for sometime next
year.  I have found a huge amount of information, and it's a little
overwhelming.  I was wondering if anyone who has been on the trip could
give me some tips on what to do, including good (and bad) travel agencies,
overnight stays in different cities, what to bring, and whether or not you
liked it.  Any help would be great!!  Thank you!

Sender:  Doug Eldred (Douglas.K.Eldred@cdc.com)

If anyone will be in the Zaraysk area, about 140 Km southeast of Moscow,
between July 19 and August 2, you might want to consider visiting the town
kremlin there.  A team of amateur American archaeologists will be
excavating just outside the kremlin.  The site dates to the end of the last
ice age, when dwellings were constructed using a framework of mammoth tusks
and bones.  Mammoth bones were also used for fuel, for food, etc.

The town is one of the few that was almost completely unscathed by World
War II, and the kremlin contains two Russian churches, in addition to being
interesting itself.  On Saturday (when we won't be digging) there's a large
open air shopping setup just up the hill from the kremlin.  Zaraysk can
easily be reached by car or bus.  There's a nice museum just near the
kremlin.  By one of those strange coincidences that sometimes happen in
real life, Zaraysk was the "small town" (their words) visited by CBS News
just prior to the 1996 Russian elections.

This will be my third archaeological trip to Russia, and the second to
Zaraysk.  The dig is sponsored by the Russian Institue for Archaeology and
organized by Dr.  Bruce Bradley, an archaeologist working in Cortez, CO.

Doug

Control Data Systems, Inc. (ARH252)
4201 Lexington Avenue North, Arden Hills, MN 55126-6198 USA
Phone: 612/415-4395   Fax: 612/415-3830  http://www.cdc.com

"Never explain - your friends do not need it, and your enemies will not
believe it anyway."

Sender:  john m swedberg (jswedberg@lr.net)

Dorogiye druz'ya .....  Just returned yesterday from Russia, specifically
from Tomsk, where I was the "rodnoy yazik" - the native tongue - in the
English department at Tomsk Polytechnic University this past academic year,
October '97 to June '98.  A fascinating experience for one who has been
interested in the country for many years.  Am very willing to discuss my
experiences with anyone similarly interested.

My thanks to Friends and Partners, Natasha and Greg, for adding so much to
my experience.  Through this web site I have met some wonderful friends,
such as the Struminskiy family in Novosibirsk, who met me at the airport en
route to Tomsk and then welcomed me into their home a few weeks ago at the
end of my stay in Tomsk.  And Vika in Novgorod, who has become a very good
e-mail friend.  What a wonderful service you provide.  If there is a Nobel
Prize category covering such things, you certainly are deserving of it.
Blagodaryu vas.

                              Jack Swedberg   jswedberg@lr.net

Sender:  "Alexandr Worobuev" (surite@hotmail.com)

Hi !
My name Alexander.
I work on the Ukrainian television channel as the director of TV news.
As in my work more often to have to collide with technology me interest
television technologies. I would like to support the private relations
with the person equal to me on a situation in business of manufacture of
the TV programs (colleague).
As I search for an opportunity of training in TV companies..
I shall be grateful to you for any help.

Yours faithfully.

Sender:  "Jeanne M. Daniels" (citykids@planetc.com)

Dear fellow internet patrons:
    I have a computer and I am on the Internet. I am an avid organic
gardener. I have a (married woman friend) who is also an avid organic
gardener. But she is NOT on the Internet and does not have a computer.
She is seeking a pen pal (she did not express a gender preference, but
she would probably perfer a woman) who is also an avid gardener. I did
not know where to begin to help her find such a person, but I decided to
see if there was anything on the Internet. I do not believe she will
ever be truly comfortable using a computer, so I do not expect, even if
she and her husband get one, that it will be a good medium for her to
use in communicating.
    I do not know how expensive postage from Russia to the US is, so I
do not know if this is a reasonable request. I guess that gardeners
overall are less technologically based than most computer owners, so I
guess I am a hybrid of sorts.
    Here is here name and address if a MAIL pen pal can be found. I will
also include some other information:
                        Mrs. Patricia A. Brady
                        4541 E. Hwy. 25/70
                        Del Rio, TN 37727
                        U.S.A.

Pat is a married, middle aged woman, mother of 4 grown children, and
grandmother of 5 (with 2 more grandchildren expected this year!).  She is
originally from Texas, with a gardening climate I do not believe exists
anywhere in Russia.  She now lives in the beautiful Smoky Mountains of East
Tennessee, which is USDA zone 7 (ie.  average winter minimum temperature
5-0 degrees Fahrenheit) with approximate frost dates of April 30 and
October 30.  Summer daily highs average in the 80's and lows in the high
60's/low 70's.  Here in the mountains the average rainfall is 50+
inches—usually spread out evenly statistically throughout the year,
although it rains very heavily in inches interspersed by short, hot, dry
times).  I realize this is not typical of the Russian climate, but even the
vast differences she might experience from those of a Russian gardener may
be of mutual interest for a pen pal arrangement.

If you are able to direct me to a way of finding a pen pal for Pat, contact
me, or pass on the information I have provided to an appropriate
person/organization.

Sincerely,

    Jeanne M. Daniels
    City Kids Farm* (Del Rio, Tennessee)

*Because my husband and I both grew up in a big city (Chicago) and recently
moved to a farm in the Smoky Mountains!

Sender:  kgrill@aaas.org (KGRILL)
Subject: SCIENTIST: AAAS International Scientific Cooperation Award

      ***AAAS AWARD FOR INTERNATIONAL SCIENTIFIC COOPERATION***

The American Association for the Advancement of Science seeks to recognize
an individual or small group working together in the scientific or
engineering community for making outstanding contributions to furthering
international cooperation in science or engineering.  Through the Award for
International Scientific Cooperation (ISC), AAAS acknowledges the
contributions of those scientists and engineers who seek to conduct
research and develop programs of an international nature.

*THE AWARD*

The ISC award is presented each February at the AAAS Annual Meeting.  A
monetary prize of $2,500, a commemorative plaque, and complimentary
registration, and reimbursement for reasonable travel and hotel expenses to
attend the AAAS annual meeting will be given to the recipient.

*ELIGIBILITY*

The award is open to all regardless of nationality or citizenship.
Nominees must be living at the time of their nomination.  Any individual or
small group in the scientific and engineering community that has
contributed substantially to the understanding or development of science or
engineering across national boundaries is eligible for this award.

*NOMINATION PROCEDURES*

Nominations should be typed and include the following information:

 - nominator's name, address, and phone number
 - nominee's name and title, institutional affiliation, and address
 - a summary of the action(s) that form the basis for the nomination
   (about 250 words)
 - a longer statement, not to exceed three pages, providing additional
   details of the action(s) for which the candidate is nominated
 - two letters of support
 - a curriculum vitae (3 page maximum) containing professional
   positions held
 - any documentation (books, articles, or other materials) that
   illuminates the significance of the nominee's achievement may also
   be submitted.

All materials become property of AAAS.

*DEADLINE*

Deadline is August 1, 1998.

*CONTACT INFORMATION*

Completed nominations should be submitted to:

 Linda Stroud, CAIP Liaison
 American Association for the Advancement of Science
 1200 New York Avenue, N.W.
 Washington, D.C. 20005

 E-mail:  lstroud@aaas.org
 Website: www.aaas.org/international/caip/caipmain.htm

Sender:  MSJ43@aol.com

Dear Friends,

I am wondering if you can help me find any family members that my mother
may still have in Russia.  They came to the United States around 1914 and
left many aunts and cousins there.  Could you direct me where I might be
able to locate them?  My Mother is 84 years old now and this has been a
quest she has long wanted to do.  Thank you for your help and consideration
in this matter.  Sincerely, Marianne Jarrell at MSJ43@aol.com

Sender:  Palms and Company (russia@aa.net)
Subject: Essays in Russian & English by Dr. Pyotr Joannevich

About the Russian Economy
Available at "Palms Portal to Russia" web site. Both languages,
Russian (Cp1251 fonts for Windows) and English, on the same page

Russia Does Not Want Investment!
http://members.aa.net/~russia/texts/pd6.html
and
http://members.aa.net/~russia/texts/pd10.html

People Are The Greatest Natural Resources & Wealth Of Ukraine And Russia
http://members.aa.net/~russia/texts/pd14.html

U.S. Computer Maker IBM Closes Russian Production Factory
http://members.aa.net/~russia/texts/pd125.html

600% Tax By Russian Government Closes Russian/American
Newspaper Joint Venture
http://members.aa.net/~russia/texts/pd8.html

There are a total of 149 essays available at the same URL numbered from
pd1.html to pd149.html

_____________________________________
     S uvajheniem i nailuchshimi pozhelaniyami,

Dr. Pyotr Joannevich van de Waal-Palms
President, Palms & Company, Inc., Investment Bankers (1934-1997)
The United States of America
Tel: 1 425 - 828-6774 Fax 1 425 827-5528
E-mail: russia@aa.net
WWW home page: http://members.aa.net/~russia/palloby.html
"Understanding Russian Banking"
http://members.aa.net/~russia/banking/book.html

Sender:  vict@mer.un.md

Hello!
     My name is Victor. I'm from Kishinev (The Moldova Republic ).
I present The FEDERATION  Youth of Moldova and Movement " Time of Young ".
We unite the representatives of youth of all republic.
Our purpose construction of a democratic and civil society.
We act for observance of the rights of the person -
against discrimination of the people on racial, national, sexual,
to social and other attributes.
The purpose of our activity is also struggle for ecology in Moldova,
that in connection with disorder of an industry has not reduced, and on the
contrary, has increased problem.
These purposes we sell in the programs, which come true,
as in republican scale, and in particular regions.
We would like to establish contact to your organization
with the purpose, as of an exchange to ideas and experience, and realization
the possible joint projects.
     Yours faithfully,
    Victor Coopershlak - the President of Rock - Club "KROCK",
     The member of Council of The Federation Youth  of Moldova and
     Movement " Time of Young "

Sender:  Aleksei (ALGG@netvalue.net)

I am looking for any information on the history of Kuznetsov in Russia and
if possible in the United States.  I am 18 years of age and emigrated to
U.S in the summer of 91; now seven years later I am intressted in who I am.
Unfortunately my parents are unable to provide me with historical
information.  I am looking on what my name means and how it was originated.
So if you could help me in any way I would apprecieate it.  Thank you very
much

Sender:  Infomarket@Adelphia.net
Subject: stories of "Little People"

I would appreciate your assistance in obtaining any short descriptions of
stories of "Little People" like the Leprechauns of Ireland, told by any of
the Native Russians.  Thanking you in advance, Gail E.  Brooks 3600 Jardin
Court, 101 Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410 FAX: 1-561-776-3873 Email:
Infomarket@Adelphia.net