Digest for June 25, 1998

01-25 June 98  Sender:  hakki33@hotmail.com
               Subject: from Hakki Gedik

               Subject: from Donald

               Subject: from David S. Moffatt

               Subject: from RFrank

               Subject: Job posting

               Subject: SCIENTIST: Russian Women's Science Association

               Subject: SCIENTIST: NATO Science Programme

               Subject: SCIENTIST: Women's Leadership Training Program

               Subject: contact

               Subject: belarusian child

               Subject: recycling computers for Russia

               Subject: Hello from Chicago USA

               Subject: general interest

               Subject: Fam.Roots

               Subject: I want to know friend who is the Communist Party

               Subject: General Questions

               Subject: http://home.sol.no/~hmelberg/papers/papers.htm

               Subject: CHAGALL

               Subject: exploring Canadian/Russian film projects

               Subject: Polish immigrants

               Subject: posting

               Subject: Looking for friends

               Subject: ad

               Subject: various questions

21-25 June 98  Sender:  "Andrew  Dranov" (root@andr.kemerovo.su)
               Subject: I'm looking for my schoolfriend

22-25 June 98  Sender:  "Tatiana Pavlova" (pavlova@issp.ac.ru)
               Subject: All about Moscow. Green card lottery 2000.

23-25 June 98  Sender:  "Vladimir N. Kopylov" (vkopylov@issp.ac.ru)
               Subject: Russian handling and search engines

Sender:  hakki33@hotmail.com

Hello Friends from very nice Country Russia...

I am 37 years old and living in Istanbul.  If you have interest about me
and my Country, please write me.  I will be happy and answer you quickly.

Baka
Hakki

Sender:  su2spy@aol.com

Hello and from Russia and those interested in Russia.  I am interested in
cultures and travel from Moscow and St.  petersburg to Vldivostok by way of
Ekteringburg,Novosibirsk,Irkutsk.  I live and work in Orlando, Florida, USA
for an airline.  I am trying to teach myself Russian.  I will be traveling
to Russia again in september and hope to take the Trans Siberian Express
Train.  I'd like to meet and visit a few places and people along the way.
This will be my 4th trip to Novosibirsk.  I'd sure like to visit with some
new friends on this great internet line.  I also am trying to learn this PC
computer.  Looking for young adults and middle age Russians for E-mail
information and new friendships.  sincerely Don

Sender:  DMoffatt@Compuserve.com

Hello.  Privet.  I am happy to read about people in different places
interested in Russian-American exchange.  I also hope in good will between
our countries.  Since I am traveling to Moscow in September, maybe someone
could contact me that I might meet there.

Sender:  rfrank31@hotmail.com

This site is great!  Would like to correspond with people from Russia or
anywhere else but I am interested in Russia.  I do not speak Russian very
well and am trying to learn.

Sender:  "Russie.net: le Web franco-russe" (russie@russie.net)

We really appreciate your work.  We are trying to do the same with
french-russian relations.  It's the good way for our countries.

How can we convert cyrillic text from win1251 to koi and Mac?
Sorry for my english

Thanks,
Best regards from Philippe, Victoria, Boris and Elise

Russie.net: http://www.russie.net

Sender:  "John Lechicky" (jlechicky@irex.org)

RSEP/CI Program Officer: Moscow-Based

The International Research & Exchanges Board (IREX) seeks a
program officer to be based in Moscow to work the USIA-funded
Regional Scholar Exchange Program and FSA Contemporary Issues
Fellowships. This position is available immediately.

General Duties:

* Plan and conduct outreach and recruitment for RSEP and CI programs
throughout Russia;

* Organize interview selection process for applicants;

* Lead participation orientation programs;

* Develop and report on alumni programming for RSEP and CI programs in
Russia, including supervising Russian electronic alumni journal staff;

* Coordinate alumni tracking in Russia;

* Assist in program and financial reporting;

*  Liaise with USIS and other donors working in scholarly exchanges;

*  Assist in proposal development;

* Coordinate all program activities with other IREX field offices and
DC-based project team and director.

Requirements:

* Fluency in Russian and significant overseas experience;
* Ability to manage multiple tasks and work in a high-stress
environment;
* Wiliness to travel;
* Strong public speaking and presentation skills;
*  Ease in working in an international setting and exceptional
communication skills.

Reports to:
IREX/Moscow Coordinator of Academic Programs

Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to
IREX/DC to John Lechicky, fax: 202-628-8189 or jlechicky@irex.org.

Sender:  kgrill@aaas.org (KGRILL)

           ***ASSOCIATION "WOMEN IN SCIENCE AND EDUCATION"***
                           Moscow, Russia

 The non-governmental, non-profit Association "Women in Science and
 Education" (AWSE) was created on 21 September 1994. The goal of AWSE
 is to support the efforts of women in their selfless and relentless
 work in science and education.

 *MAIN ACTIVITIES*

 The main activities of the organization are:

 1. Organization of conferences, congresses, seminars and other events
    for discussion of professional and social problems of women in
    science and education.

 2. Support of women participation in international and Russian
    scientific and educational events.

 3. Information about international and Russian grants, competitions
    and other kinds of possible financial support for women working in
    science and education.

 4. Support of women in their scientific and teaching career and
    nomination to key administrative positions in science and
    education.

 5. Contacts with other women international and Russian organizations.

 6. Contacts with other professional and public organizations,
    scientific associations etc.

 *PROJECTS*

 Projects of AWSE include the following:

 1. Scientific and educational literature. Edition, re-edition and
    distribution all round the Russian schools and universities.

 2. Creation of a library of computer educational programs for schools
    and universities and distribution by UNTERNET.

 3. Participation in centers of special education.

 4. International, Russian and local summer schools for children
    (mathematics, science, humanitarian)

 5. Faces of Russian Science. Collection and publication of materials
    on the history of Russian women scientists and teachers in 20th
    century.

 6. Database of personalities - women in science and education in
    modern Russia.

 *LOCATIONS*

 The organization has about six hundred members in more than forty
 cities of Russia and the former Soviet Union.  Local branches are in:

 - Nizhni Novgorod.
 - Voronezh
 - Cheboksary
 - Maykop
 - Tver
 - Sevastopol
 - Abakan
 - Krasnoyarsk
 - Volgograd

 *CONTACT INFORMATION*

 More information about this organization can be found on their
 website:  http://gw.biophys.msu.ru/awse/
 It is in both Russian and English.

 AWSE can be contacted at:

 Association "Women in Science and Education" (AWSE)
 Russia, 119899, Moscow
 Vorobjevy Gory
 Moscow State University,
 Biological Faculty Dept. Biophysics
 Tel: (095)9391963
 Fax: (095)9391115
 E-mail:  awse@mars.biophys.msu.ru
 Website: http://gw.biophys.msu.ru/awse/

Sender:  kgrill@aaas.org (KGRILL)

                     ***NATO SCIENCE PROGRAMME***

 Support is available under the NATO Science Programme for
 collaboration in general science, or in a number of priority areas,
 between NATO-country scientists and scientists in NATO's Partner
 countries. The following types of collaborative activity are
 supported:

 - Advanced Study Institutes (ASIs);
 - Advanced Research Workshops (ARWs);
 - Collaborative Research Grants (CRGs);
 - Linkage Grants (LGs);
 - Expert Visits (EVs); and
 - Networking Infrastructure Grants (NIGs).

 More information on these activities can be found on their website
 at:  http://www.nato.int/science/homepage.htm

 *SCIENCE FOR PEACE PROGRAMME*

 The Science for Peace Programme is the most recent initiative of the
 NATO Science Programme.  It aims at assisting Partner countries in
 their transition towards a market- oriented and environmentally sound
 economy. The Programme will give a new dimension to the NATO Science
 Committee's ongoing cooperative activities by enabling Partner
 scientists to engage in applied R&D projects jointly with NATO
 counterparts.  The deadline for submission of applications under this
 programme is 1st August, 1998.

 *LIST OF EAPC (^) COUNTRIES*

 NATO countries: Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece,
 Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain,
 Turkey, United Kingdom, United States.

 Partner countries eligible for SfP funding: Albania, Armenia,
 Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Estonia, Georgia,
 Hungary, Kazakhstan, Kyrghyz Republic, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova,
 Poland, Romania, Russian Federation, Slovak Republic, Slovenia,
 Tajikistan, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (^^),
 Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan.

 Partner countries not eligible for SfP funding: Austria, Finland,
 Sweden, Switzerland.

 Footnotes:
 ^  Euro Atlantic Partnership Council
 ^^ Turkey recognises the Republic of Macedonia with its
    constitutional name.

 *CONTACT INFORMATION*

 NATO
 Scientific and Environmental Affairs Division
 B-1110 Brussels
 Belgium
 Tel : (32-2) 707.41.11
 Fax : (32-2) 707.42.32
 E-mail: science.sfp@hq.nato.int
 Webpage:  www.nato.int/science/homepage.htm

Sender:  kgrill@aaas.org (KGRILL)

              ***WOMEN'S LEADERSHIP TRAINING PROGRAM***

 We are delighted to announce that ISAR (Initiative for Social Action
 and Renewal in Eurasia), with support from the US Information Agency
 and Trust for Mutual Understanding, is planning a women's leadership
 training program for environmental nongovernmental organization (NGO)
 leaders from West NIS (Ukraine, Moldova and Belarus).  ISAR will
 bring eight women from West NIS to the US for a three week period in
 mid-autumn during which participants will: visit national and
 regional level environmental health organization; travel throughout
 Pennsylvania meeting with grassroots women activists working on
 environmental health issues facing their communities; participate in
 a women's leadership training with US counterparts; and take part in
 individualized, topically-oriented mini-internships at grassroots
 organizations in the eastern US.

 Environmental problems have become increasingly hazardous to the
 health of the populations of Belarus, Moldova and Ukraine.  Forced to
 confront the effects of these problems, women have played key roles
 in organizing their communities to monitor radiation levels, seek
 safer food sources, and educate citizens in an effort to create
 change.  Over the past half decade, women leaders have acquired the
 experience and skills needed to effectively address local problems
 and have proved themselves to be efficient leaders on the local
 level.  However, this focus on local problems too often results in a
 tendency not to see the bigger picture. Working on immediate tasks to
 solve impending problems in relative isolation, women have few
 opportunities to come together to share information and advice.

 *GOALS*

 The goals of the program are to:

 1) acquaint West NIS women environmental leaders with US women
    environmental leaders who are active in their communities;

 2) assist women activists from the West NIS and US to more fully
    understand the organizational and topical challenges they face in
    their NGO work and help them identify ways to meet those
    challenges successfully through the exchange of skills and
    information and the development of coalitions;

 3) demonstrate how local tasks can be accomplished more effectively
    if they are identified as shared goals with other organizations;

 4) demonstrate how to encourage and draw upon coalitions effectively
    so as to bring communities into the political decision-making
    process; and

 5) facilitate the possibility for future cooperation and
    coalition-building on specific projects, both within the West NIS
    region and with the US.

 *ELIGIBILITY*

 Women from Belarus, Moldova or Ukraine who wish to apply for this
 program must:

 1) be members of West NIS registered local environmental grassroots
     NGOs;

 2) have no less than 2 years of experience in the NGO movement in
    their countries;

 3) have served as a program manager of at least one successful NGO
    program in the field of environment and health and proven strong
    leadership ability;

 4) have experience in involving local population in environmental
    decision making;

 5) be interested in the development of partnerships and coalitions
    with NGOs in their countries and beyond in order to address common
    problems;

 6) be able and willing to share the experience of their work, as well
    as that gained through a US training/internship program upon
    returning to their countries;

 7) be able to make a presentation on their NGOs involvement in
    solving regional environmental problems to the US community;

 8) have never traveled to US.

 Preference will be given to candidates who are leaders of NGOs.
 Knowledge of English is desirable but will not be a factor in the
 selection of participants.

 *APPLICATION*

 Interested parties should send a short application with the following
 information:

 1) Full name

 2) Home address and telephone

 3) Name of organization

 4) Organization address and telephone

 5) Name of director of organization

 6) Concrete information about each of the above criteria, with
    special attention to number 3.  Applicants should include detailed
    information about the projects they have implemented in the field
    of environment and health.

 *DEADLINE*

 Application Deadline: July 31, 1998

 *CONTACT INFORMATION*

 Please send applications to:  Ukraine, 252006, Kyiv, a/ya 47, ISAR or
 fax to 44-269-8542 or e-mail to ( dana@isar.kiev.ua ).

 Selection of participants will take place in mid-August.

 *RUSSIAN LANGUAGE ANNOUNCEMENT*

 For a Russian version of this announcement, please contact
 ( schelene@isar.org ).

Sender:  "thomas Jones" (thomasm84@hotmail.com)

 Hi all readers of F+P, I wish to here from anyone anywhere
 As I am from Liverpool off the north west coast of the United  Kingdom.

 I am really interested in the soviet union the usa and any other
countries as i love reading E-mails

 Looking forward to hearing from someone soon .....

Sender:  caroltaber@aol.com

I have a question.  i have a belarusian child staying with our family this
summer.  i am looking for russian language web pages that would be of
interest to him.  if you have any site suggestions, please e-mail the above
address.  thank you

Sender:  "Marani" (marani@comtel.ru)

Dear friends!  We are interesting to receive some recycling computers for
youth and children in Russia.  We are volunteers from non-profit
organisations Center Paloma, European Folk Culture Organization National
Committee, God Providence House.  Could you send us more information about
this possibility?  Thanks for cooperation.  Please contact with us e-mail
Nicolay.A.Olshevsky@public.m400.ctel.msk.ru.  Nicolay Olshevsky.

Sender:  "Rajendran, Isaac" (IRajendran@newark.com)

Hello this is Isaac and I live in Chicago, I was surfing on Internet to get
some information about Chita, it was nice to see friends and partners from
Irkutsk on the web, I got the e-mail address from the key contacts for US
in Russia far east.  As I was planning to visit a friend who lives in
Chita, in the second week of July 98, please advise(help) if its a nice
idea to visit Chita.  This my first time to visit any places in Russia, I
am not sure how things are in that place.  My travel agent can get me to
Irkutsk and my friend will come from Chita to pick me up.  It will be nice
to hear from you all and hoping to make new friends in Irkutsk too.  Please
reply if you can and my e-mail address is irajendran@newark.com.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Isaac
Phone# 708-848-0954

Sender:  SU2spy@aol.com

I am looking for some information about travel to Russia and Novocibirsk and
the Trans Siberian Express train.   I plan to go back in september.

                                                                Don Bowman

Sender:  VZalutka@aol.com

To whom it may concern,

My great grandfather may of come for eastern Russia. The name was Andrew
Zalutka or Andreaya Zoludok. I've seen both names and am not sure. Our last
name currently is Zalutka. How can I research and find out more about the
family roots. Andrew came to the USA in late 1800's. My Grand father was born
in PA in 1898. Can you help point me to some available information? thanks so
much!
Vince Zalutka, CA. USA

Sender:  "Bin Iceman" (BJ806LL@ihw.com.cn)
Subject: I want to know friend who is the Communist Party member of
         The former Soviet Union

Hello every one in the list!
       Although I have joined in this list just for about one week ,I love
it very much!And I want to know friend who was the member of The Communist
Party of The former Sovite Union.There isn't any wicked thought in
it,because I come from The People's Republic of China .I just want to know a
ordinary one as my friend and communicate with him(her).I think we would
have much common topic.
Want make me as your friend Email to me :bj806ll@ihw.com.cn
regards
                           Bin from China

Sender:  "Andre Racine" (razz@onlink.net)

Hello, my name is Andre, I am from Canada, and I would like information
about e-mail services in Tver, Russia.  I thought that maybe you can help
me with my problem.  I communicate with a lady in Tver by mail ( She does
not have a telephone) and this process is very slow, sometimes it takes two
months to receive her letters.  I went to Tver six months ago and I met her
and we have been sending letters to each other ever since.  I would like
and need to find out if there is a better way for me and her to communicate
with each other.  I am looking for a person in Tver that I can email my
messages and that person can mail my letters to my friend and my friend can
send or go to the business in Tver and send me back the information/letter
back to me.  I would like to find a better and faster way to communicate
with her.

Do you know or can you assist me in solving this problem.

Thank you for your prompt reply and assistance

Andre

razz+AEA-onlink.net