Digest for June 11, 1998

01-11 June 98  Sender:  A.J. Pleysier
               Subject: from A.J. Pleysier

               Subject: from Richard Payne

               Subject: from Rohan Healy

               Subject: from Iksang Lee

               Subject: Russian Life June/July Issue

               Subject: Correction to Job Announcement

               Subject: trip to Russia

               Subject: SCIENTIST: Funding for Research in Biomedical Sciences

               Subject: SCIENTIST: Project for Restructuring Russian Science

               Subject: IREX seeks a Country Director for Russian Federation

               Subject: BACK AFTER 2 MONTHS OF ART

               Subject: russification of Windows and Netscape

               Subject: Finding Ariadne Vinogradova.

               Subject: Vacancy advertisement

               Subject: Hello Farooq!!

               Subject: Committee for World Health

               Subject: International firm seeks Project Leader

15-11 June 98  Sender:  "Serguei A. Oushakine" (G96ous72@STUDENT.CEU.HU)
               Subject: International Center for Not-for-Profit Law

16-11 June 98  Sender:  "Serguei A. Oushakine" (G96ous72@STUDENT.CEU.HU)
               Subject: AMERICAN BAR ASSOCIATION

17-11 June 98  Sender:  smith.robin@virgin.net
               Subject: Russian Language Broadcasts

Sender:  A.J. Pleysier

This site is GREAT! Please continue with it, we hope to meet the people of
Russia in the summer holiday; greetings from Waddinxveen, The Netherlands

Sender:  Nekeyah@cci.net.au

Hi, Great site!

I am Australian of Russian descent and have been searching for my lost aunt
for the past ten years.  Her name at birth was Ariadne Vinogradova.She was
born in Shanghai in 1926 and is sister to my mother Elena.  When the girls
were young their mother Alexandra died of TB and the girls were split up.
Mum ended up in Australia and I believe that Ariadne was adopted by an
American serviceman and his Russian wife and their three daughters.They
went back to the US probably before WW2.  It is rumoured that Ariadne ended
up in California working with a law firm.I don't know her adopted name.
Anyone have any ideas?  Happy to chat with anyone out there.  Regards,
Richard.

Sender:  jack12@aia.net.au

I am interested in learning about Russia and travelling there in the near
future.  How do I become involved ?

Bye,
Rohan.

Sender:  is@chungang.net

Hello Friends, This site is so interesting for me.  I am Korean, 44 years
old, but tall and handsome enough.  I have been in Irkutsk in 1995.  I miss
Baikal, Angara, Irkutsk, Ust-ilmsk....and reliable and beautiful friends.
Now I live in Seoul, Korea.  I am looking for a friend in your territory.
Would you be my friend?  Waiting for your lovely message soon.  Have a nice
day!  Iksang

Sender:  "Paul Richardson" (paul@rispubs.com)

The June/July issue of Russian Life is now out!

It features stories on:
* Americans adopting Russians
* Saratov Gubernia + an interview with the man President Yeltsin
introduced to President Clinton as "the next President of Russia."
* A little-known Romanov museum
* Ferapontovo
* The inside scoop on Russian ice cream
* The rising power of the regions
* A great Survival Russian column on tsar-speak
And much much more!

Russian Life is the 41-year-old monthly magazine of Russian culture,
history, travel and life. Full of wonderful photography and
objective, insightful journalism, Russian Life is a monthly trip to
Russia...

Subscriptions are $29 for one year, and can be ordered by simply
sending an email with your mailing address to ( sales@rispubs.com ).
Or visit our website at ( www.rispubs.com ).

For a limited time, every new subscriber will be entered in a drawing
for a free round trip ticket to Russia on Lufthansa, so get your
subscription started today, and you may truly be transported to
Russia in the months ahead!

Sender:  Emily Sanders (esanders@counterpart.org)
Subject: PROGRAM ADVISOR - L'VIV, UKRAINE

PROGRAM ADVISOR - L'VIV, UKRAINE

Counterpart International, Inc., a Private Voluntary Organization founded in
1965, is currently seeking applicants for a Program Advisor for a women's
microenterprise/microcredit program in L'viv, Ukraine.  Responsibilities
include: implementing and managing the program in L'viv in collaboration
with Counterpart's local partner over a period of one year; developing the
skills of Ukrainian partner staff; training and consultations for clients
and local entrepreneurs; writing proposals and reports to donors; and
liaising with local/international organizations, government ministries, and
private sector business persons.  Requires:  masters degree in business,
finance or economics; 5-10 years economic and/or organizational development,
credit/banking, or business experience in international environment
preferably in the former Soviet Union or eastern Europe; experience working
overseas.  Prefers Ukrainian language skills.  Must be U.S. citizen.
Please send resume and cover letter no later than June 19, 1998 to: Emily
Sanders, Counterpart International, 1200 18th Street, NW, Suite 1100,
Washington, DC 20036; fax: 202.296.9679. Email: esanders@counterpart.org
No phone calls please.

Sender:  Judy Antipin Hartheimer (jhart@cynet.net)

Dear list members,

Some of your may have seen my previous posts, detailing my trip to
Russia that will begin June 18, and last for a month. We (my companion
and I) will be staying with extended family members for most  of our
visit to Moscow, Irkutsk and St. Petersburg.

There are several questions that I would like to put to the list before
our departure.

What would be the best form to hand the day-to-day expenses of the trip?
I would prefer not to bring large amounts of cash. Are travelers checks
readily usable?? What about credit cards??

Also, our hosts have given us some idea of what the weather conditions
will be like, but we would also like to know something about standards
of dress, for example, dress in the United States for people on holiday
can be very informal, and that might not be considered appropriate in a
large city like Moscow.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Judy Hartheimer

Sender:  kgrill@aaas.org (KGRILL)

                       ***THE WELLCOME TRUST***

              Funding for Research in Biomedical Sciences

 The Wellcome Trust is a charity that provides funds to support research in
 the biomedical sciences and the history of medicine.

 *INTERNATIONAL SCHEMES*

 Science thrives on the exchange of information and experience, and
 scientists have much to learn from colleagues working on similar topics in
 different environments.  The Wellcome Trust has consistently promoted
 international links between scientists - indeed, awards for travel grants
 and travelling fellowships were some of the first awards to be made by
 Wellcome Trustees.  The schemes run by the International Programme
 generally aim either to encourage collaborative projects between UK and
 overseas scientists, or to allow scientists the opportunity to spend time
 in labs outside their home country.

 *NIS/CEE PROGRAMS*

 The following summaries describe schemes that are available for the
 NIS and CEE region:

 1) TRAVELLING RESEARCH FELLOWSHIPS

 For young scientists from outside the UK^, with proven research record and
 less than ten years of postdoctoral experience to extend their research
 training in the UK^.  Support may be requested for up to two years.

 ^For researchers from any country except Canada, USA and the UK.

 2) INTERNATIONAL RESEARCH DEVELOPMENT AWARD

 For young scientists from developing or restructuring nations to undertake
 a research project in home countries, in collaboration with a UK^ group.
 Support is provided for three years and will cover the cost of research,
 travel and subsistence.

 ^For researchers from developing/restructuring countries and the UK.

 3) COLLABORATIVE RESEARCH INITIATIVE GRANTS

 For established scientists from developing or restructuring nations to
 undertake a research programme in home countries, in collaboration with a
 UK^ group.  Support is provided for up to three years and will cover the
 cost of research materials, necessary research staff and equipment.  The
 cost of short visits between the two groups will also be met.

 ^For researchers from developing/restructuring countries and the UK.

 4)  BIOMEDICAL RESEARCH COLLABORATION GRANTS

 Contribute towards the cost of travel and subsistence for short visits
 between collaborating groups in the UK^ and overseas over a period of
 three years.

 ^For researchers from the UK and the rest of the world.

 5)  TRAVEL GRANTS

 Provide contribution towards the cost of travel and subsistence for
 established scientists to travel between the UK^ and other countries for
 short visits to further their research.

 ^For researchers from the UK and the rest of the world.

 6)  SHORT-TERM TRAVELLING RESEARCH AWARDS

 For established, tenured scientists to travel to or from the UK^ for
 visits of between one to six months to carry out a defined piece of
 research.

 ^For researchers from the UK and the rest of the world.

 NOTE: The above descriptions are only short summaries of their programs.
 Each program has certain restrictions and requirements.  For further
 information about these programs, check their website at:
 http://www.wellcome.ac.uk or e-mail at: international@wellcome.ac.uk

 *CONTACT INFORMATION*

 The Wellcome Trust
 183 Euston Road
 London NW1 2BE
 Tel: +44 (0)171 611 8816
 Fax: +44 (0)171 611 7288
 E-mail: international@wellcome.ac.uk
 Webpage: www.wellcome.ac.uk

Sender:  kgrill@aaas.org (KGRILL)

           ***PROJECT FOR RESTRUCTURING RUSSIAN SCIENCE***

 [Summary from an article in "Science" magazine (vol.  280, 5/29/98, pages
 1313-1492), entitled "A New Initiative for Russian Science" by Richard
 Stone.]

 For many years, the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS) and Russian
 universities have been two separate entities with most of the top research
 scientists going to the RAS, not to universities.  A pilot project, set to
 be launched this summer at the University of Nizhny Novgorod's (UNN)
 Physico-Technical Research Institute, will try to increase the number of
 qualified scientists and raise the level of research at the university by
 establishing a scientific center of excellence.  This project was
 developed in an effort to have these two branches work together to train a
 new generation of qualified scientists to work both at universities and at
 RAS. Instead of simply giving funding, this project will try to
 restructure the divided system in order for it to become self-sufficient
 in the future.

 This new one-year, $500,000 pilot project, entitled the "Program for
 Basics Research and Higher Education in Russia" (BRHE), will be
 administered by the Russian Education Ministry under the direction of
 Mikhail Tikhonov and the Civilian Research and Development Foundation
 (CRDF) directed by Gerson Sher.  The success of the pilot project will be
 determined by the scientists' ability to receive competitive grants and to
 publish articles in international journals.

 If the pilot is successful, CRDF and the Education Ministry want to
 follow-up with a five year, $60 million project which would expand the
 number scientific centers to more than 10 universities throughout Russia.
 The universities would be chosen through a competitive proposal process.
 The possibility of a follow-on project depends on funding from other
 organizations.

Sender:  Susan Pelton (spelton@irex.ru)

IREX seeks a Country Director for its Moscow-based operations in the
Russian Federation.  As the senior representative of IREX in the Russian
Federation, the Director directly manages a Moscow-based staff of 40 and
has oversight responsibilities for the network of IREX representations
elsewhere in the country.

IREX implements programs in a number of areas, including: academic research
and exchanges, institutional partnerships, Internet connectivity and
training, NGO development, professional training, student exchange, alumni
outreach, and educational advising.

Requirements:
 A minimum of two years demonstrated management experience in the NIS at a
comparable level
 Ability to represent IREX to Russian and western academic, professional
and corporate communities in Moscow
 Experience with US and international funding agencies and with Russian
counterparts
 Demonstrated high level of initiative
 Excellent oral & written communication skills
 Good Russian language skills
 Minimum one-year commitment

Please send cover letter and resume with salary history to:

John Lechicky
IREX
1616 H. Street N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20006
Fax (202)628-2261
e-mail: jlechicky@irex.org

For more information on IREX, visit us at our web sites at www.irex.org or
www.irex.ru

Sender:  "gary clark" (garyclark@hotmail.com)

Gary Clark, P.O. Box 3031, Clearwater Beach, Florida 33767  USA

Dear Family & Friends,

Hello to all!  Sorry to be out of touch for the past two months.  I
switched over to art with full focus.  Have been lyrical realism
paintings, with the hope of capturing  forms & energies of Earth with
color &   As of June 8th, 1998, I am an officially registered artist in
the State of Florida.  I now exhibit & sell my works nightly
(6:30pm-10:30pm) at Sunsets at Pier 60 Festival on the island of
Clearwater Beach in the Gulf of Mexico. There are all sorts of local
artists, crafters, & performers.   (We are located about 23 miles west
of Tampa, Florida.  Stop by & say hello if you are in the area.)

YA GOTTA HAVE ART

This is my first day back on the Net.  So much has come together re the
new books.  This morning Carole & I had a great discussion about the
CODY novel.  Missing pieces just kept showing up at kitchen table over
morning coffee & waffles.  Turns out Cody will be a young boy  who
begins painting the natural beauty of this area, capturing the
interwoven elements of the ocean, waves & surf,  the shoreline, sand,
wind, sky, clouds, sea outs, sand dunes, sun, moon.

So, I am here at Safety Harbor Library &, you might say, getting back to
basics (& I believe my true calling).

Wish me luck!

All the Best to You & Yours,

Gary

Sender:  "Vladimir N. Kopylov" (vkopylov@issp.ac.ru)

Reply to Mark Turner (previous issue of digest) on his question and to
other Friends about handling of cyrillic alphabet.  Click "Teach your
computer to russian" on page http://www.halyava.ru/vladimir_k and find very
useful information about russification of Windows and Netscape.  Best
wishes to all.

Sender:  nekeyah (nekeyah@cci.net.au)

Hi, you have a great site! I'm in Australia and have been searching for
my mother's sister . She was born Ariadne Vinogradova  in Shanghai (Lang
terrace off Ave Joffre in French Concession) in about 1926. She was
younger sister to my mother Elena.

  When the girls were little their mother, Alexandra, died of TB. The
girls were split up, Mum ended up in Australia and then Norfolk Island.
Ariadne is supposed to have been takn by an American serviceman and his
Russian wife and three kids and ended up back in the US. Unfortunately I
don't know their surname. Legend has it that they went to California and
she worked in the Legal area.

  I figure the only way to find her is to spread the story around and
see if anyone recognises it. Any ideas?  It would be great to hear from
anyone our there even fro a chat.

  Unfortunately I can't speak Russian - mum never taught me, I wish she
had.

Regards, Richard Payne.